How To Stay Focused During An Online Finals Week

Organize your thoughts and plan ahead for the week to ensure success.

6

Students at DePaul University are wrapping up the last week of classes for the quarter, and I am shocked at how quickly these ten weeks moved. With that being said, I myself am starting to feel a bit anxious surrounding an upcoming week of online finals. During my spring quarter of 2020, the majority of my finals were cancelled due to the extra amount of stress they were likely going to put on students, so this is my first time taking finals from home. In order to (hopefully) do well on my finals, I have set a few guidelines for myself to ensure that I maintain focus and do not feel burned out.

To start, I took the time to write down the dates on which each of my finals are due. As they are spread out throughout the coming week, I was able to get a better idea of when I can allow myself time to do work for each class. By devoting extra time where I need it, I am hoping to not feel as pressured or anxious about the deadlines for my finals.

In addition, I am trying to schedule my week so that I can take a day or two off from my school work. I believe that doing a little bit every day will help me maintain steady progress, but in order to avoid exhaustion, I would like to give myself at least one day to rest.

Lastly, and what I deem most importantly, I plan to take care of any necessary errands that I would typically run during the weekend. This includes grocery shopping, going to Target, or anything else I would normally do during the week. I want to make sure that I have enough healthy meals to fuel my body properly and help support my energy levels. By being prepared and planning ahead, I hope to relieve some of the added stress that accompanies an online finals week.