How To Speak 2017

How To Speak 2017

If by chance you aren’t up to speed on the 2017 buzzwords, I’m here to fill you in!

49
How To Speak 2017
pixabay

Every year our beautiful world works its magic (if you want to call it that) and creates for us a unique social vocabulary. Well, maybe it’s not the world that does it, more like its beautiful inhibitors, but either way, it seems like every few months a new term finds its way into my peer’s lingo. The trend of changing and redesigning our social vocab has been popular for decades and has given us bundles of joy like YOLO, twerk, and thot. And if by chance you aren’t up to speed on the 2017 buzzwords, I’m here to fill you in! Please use responsibility.

The plug: has connections; will get you on the list or get you the in.

This term is mostly used in the context of clubbing and partying. Basically if someone tells you they have the plug or they are the plug, my advice is to take them up on the offer because more often than not it will lead to line skips, free drinks, or bottle service! (Do not use the plug if it’s sketchy! I repeat, do not! Unsafe plugs, like in real life, will probably hurt you!)

I heard Where Else is going to be wild tonight and my friend Joe has the plug, we have to go!

Sus: short for suspicious or suspect.

Commonly used to describe the behavior of a person displaying the kind of behavior you’d typically throw some serious side eye. For example, when your roommate starts giving you one-word answers about where she was last night.

Jenny was acting so sus when I asked her about her plans for the weekend, I feel like she’s definitely going to ditch me for her boyfriend again!

Extra: over the top, too much.

You might also tell this person they are “doing the most” in regards to their wardrobe, their makeup, or their eagerness to hit the gym when you’re too hungover to move. It can be used as a synonym for boujee, too. Is it a compliment or is it an insult? We may never know.

This girl walked into class this morning and looked so extra in her crop top.

Taking/Took The L: short for taking a loss.

This phrase is frequently heard coming from a very, very hungover person. Matched with sunglasses and Advil, it’s the newest and coolest way to say that you were “turned up” or “were lit” the night before. I believe we can thank Big Sean for bringing this phrase to life.

Last night took a L, but tonight I bounce back; wake up every morning, by the night, I count stacks. - Big Sean

Bet: yes, okay.

Basically, this is just another way to confirm what someone is saying. In my experience, it sends the message that I’m excited but chill about whatever was just said. At times, it’s absolutely acceptable to use in all caps for added emphasis.

-We should go grab some food and then start drinking, what do you think?
-Bet it up, homie!

No face, no case (phrase): having no evidence, no proof.

Your so called “boyfriend” might resort to this phrase when asked about another girl; if you don’t see his face, there’s no proof he’s playing ya. But besides this scenario, I’m not sure when this is applicable, but feel free to try it out if your friend claims to have seen you with the guy you swore you’d never get back with.

My girlfriend thinks I’m cheating on her but I told her look--no face, no case!

Flexin: showing off; flaunting what you got.

In the same family of terms as stunna and stuntin'. I’ve heard many a frat-lords use this word in conjunction with “on these hoes”. So if you hear a male utter that he is “flexin on these hoes,” he also probably sharpens his photos and maybe has an earring.

Did you see his Instagram last night!? He was straight flexin!

Gassin it: making a big deal; blowing out of proportion; jumping to conclusions.

In other words, taking it 0 to 100. I imagine a good example for this would be the time I got my purse “stolen” from the bar and immediately (and drunkenly) called 911 for assistance. One might exchange this word for the more familiar option known as “forcing it”.

Kim was forreal gassin it after she went on one bad date; she started talking about how she’ll never get married and end up with sixty cats!

Salty: angry, mad, bothered.

After doing some minor quick research, I found that this term originated in the 90’s. When someone confirmed they were feeling salty the common response was to “brush the salt off”. For example, if your potential perfect match doesn’t end up getting your number, simply brush the salt right off.

I am salty!! I can’t believe that my professor gave a pop quiz the day I told her I’d be gone.

Hundo p: short for "one hundred percent."

In my opinion, this is an unnecessary term unless you’re looking to sound a little douchey (or totally sarcastic). In which case, the next time you need to let everyone know you’re 100% sure you’re going out, hundo p will come in handy.

I have a feeling tonight is going to be wild.
Hundo p it’s going to be lit!

Boated: stylish.

Word on the street is this word isn’t new. Though I learned this word from my younger, cooler, way more popular sister, I quickly found THAT my cooler, way more popular roommate also was in the know. Moral of the story, if you’re looking to be popular and cool, add this word to your already extensive vocab.

That guy over there in the suit and tie is looking boated af!

Bonus word: AF
Meaning: short for “as f**k”
Usage: see above

Well, that's all.

Peace, love and keep it real.
xoxo
Andrea