There Are Rules To Walking, Please Follow Them

10 Rules Of The Quad

Walking through campus is the same as driving on the road.

174

If you think the "rules of the road" don't apply to sidewalks, you're dead wrong and I promise you annoy a lot of people. All the rules of driving your car on the road apply to walking on a sidewalk, especially through a college campus. I know you know the rules, but in case you forgot we are going to review them now.

1. Always walk on the right side

It doesn't matter which direction you are moving, as long as you're moving on the right side of the sidewalk. It's just like driving a car (Europeans - you're off the hook for this one).

2. Do not stop in the middle

If you must stop, move off to the side so you aren't in anyone's way and people can go around you. There is plenty of room for you to get out of the way, please do so.

3. Watch where you're going

GET OFF YOUR PHONE! There are people constantly moving around you—to your right and left, behind, and maybe even coming towards you. Pay attention so 1) you don't get hit, and 2) you don't hit anyone else. You don't have to be completely off your phone - apparently that's asking for too much - but at least look up every once in a while or learn how to type without looking at the screen.

4. Keep your ears open

It may seem like you can easily navigate with headphones in your ears, but if there is a vehicle coming up behind you or someone calling out to you - you won't hear them. I"m not asking you to not listen to music, but turn it down enough so that you can hear or only put one headphone in/on.

5. Keep up the pace

If you go super slow you will annoy people and they will pass you. If you go fast, you can pass people, but just make sure you're not bumping into anyone or causing problems. And if you're late to class - all bets are off, do whatever you need to do to get there on time (or just skip).

6. Pass on the left

This rule is easy to maintain if everyone stays to the right of the sidewalk. This way, fast people can easily pass slow people and slow people are out of the way. Pass on the left, then go back to the far right in case someone decides to pass you. And don't be in a huff when you pass people - not everyone is as fast as you Speed Racer.

7. Walkers: beware of wheeled vehicles

Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, roller blades, and anything else with wheels is unpredictable. Just steer clear or anyone and everyone riding something because they can't stop as easily and, although there are rules for them to follow, they may not.

8. Bicyclists: be courteous

There is a designated area for Bicyclists to ride (THE GREENBELT) so go there. Please.

9. Skateboarders: be careful

I promise, every time someone walking hears you coming up behind them they are nervous and will move to one side or the other. Just go through the path they opened up.

10.  Scooters

Keep doing your thing.

If you follow all these rules, you should be able to walk your way through college without accident or incident. I say "should" because not everyone follows these rules, and it only takes one negligent person to ruin things for everyone else.