How To NOT Procrastinate, From A Former Master Of Procrastination
Education

Why I Quit Procrastinating

Anything is possible if you set your mind to it, or just develop an irrational fear of deadlines.

132
Why I Quit Procrastinating

I don't think there was ever an assignment that I didn't procrastinate on during all four years of high school. Ask anyone who knew me and to be quite honest, I don't even know why I did that to myself.

If you think about it, you are putting yourself under immense pressure, and for what? Literally nothing.

I used to tell myself, "You still have time. Don't worry about it, you can just start it tomorrow."

Next thing you know, tomorrow is the due date and you lose all your shit as you go into panic mode.

Fun, right? Uh, hell no.

My parents would always ask me, "Why do you procrastinate?" and I could never provide a good answer. For some reason, until I reached this mass panic mode, I felt completely unfazed and stress-free about an assignment.

Even when I was in panic mode, I guess I appeared fairly composed even though on the inside, that was not the case.

The fact that I ended up doing well on assignments even after procrastinating probably also reinforced my behavior, making me believe that I could actually pull it off.

But since coming to college, I realized that this is totally not possible.

You may be able to bullshit an assignment in high school and get an "A" on it, but that is no longer the case in college.

While it was pretty easy to hide the fact that I wrote a paper in two hours in high school, in college it shows. You are held to a higher standard now, so your work has to also improve.

I never really took high school all that seriously, but that mentality has to change before entering college because they say high school counts, which it does on some accounts, but college is what really matters.

Deadlines now drive me to not procrastinate because they come so quickly and you can't let yourself be blind-sided.

I now try to start assignments the day that they are assigned and finish them as soon as possible.

The reality is, there is no such thing as being done with work in college.

There is always another reading you could be working on or an extra-credit assignment that could be done to boost your grade, so getting work done and out of your way makes life so much easier.

I'll admit, I'm not completely cured. There are still times when I procrastinate.

I may or may not have procrastinated writing this article, but I try my very best to avoid that lifestyle because not procrastinating makes my life way less stressful and who don't want to stress less?