How To Nail An Acting Audition

Let me start this off by saying that auditions are SCARY, no matter what they are for. They can make you feel stressed or like you're put on the spot. Often times people refer to auditions as being frightening or even horrifying; but have no fear, I have some tips that I've learned to help make the acting audition process run much smoother.

I will make a disclaimer now saying that even by following these steps, there is no guarantee that you will get the part you want or that you'll be cast, but these are tips that may help you perform better or make your audition a lot easier.

BE PREPARED

Make sure you have everything you need for the audition before you go. That means double checking your list. Make sure you have any headshots, resumes, and/or audition forms that you could possibly need (I would even suggest bringing extra). 

SHOW UP EARLY

Showing up early is one of the best things you can do for an audition. There is nothing worse than missing your audition because they auditions were running ahead of schedule. I suggest always showing up to an audition 20-30 minutes early. This also gives you time to fill out any forms you haven't already and to give yourself a moment to breathe.

SELF CARE

Showing up to an audition hungry or tired can throw off your focus and readiness for your audition. Come with a snack if you need to and make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before. Coming to an audition at your peak will always help you feel more confident

DRESS APPROPRIATELY  

let me start this off by saying: NEVER SHOW UP IN A COSTUME UNLESS YOU ARE ASKED TO OR YOU ARE DOING CHARACTER WORK. Dress nice but still comfortable and in a way that still shows off who you are. Dressing as a modern version of your character works sometimes but take that with a grain of salt. Just be yourself. Feeling comfortable is the most important thing.

DO NOT STRESS

Hopefully, you've put in the work that you've needed to for this audition, all you can do now is take a deep breathe and trust in yourself. Auditions are always scary but the more cool and relaxed you are, the better your audition will be. Just be yourself and that's all you can do!