How To Make Fruit Salad Beautiful And Delicious

My 5 Secrets To Making A Beautiful, Delicious Fruit Salad — Everyone Always Asks For Seconds

Don't use the green pineapple

63

Ever spend time and effort making a fruit salad just to have no one eat it? Do you wish to save your cooking from getting the compost pile?

Many cooks don't like revealing their secrets, but the method to making good fruit salad that not only gets polished off but has a demand for seconds is simple. Here are my tips for making the best fruit salad!

Make it visually appealing.

Ever heard the saying that someone's eyes are bigger than their stomach? How good the food looks affects the likelihood that people will eat it.

Fruit is colorful and coordinating the colors right will make the fruit salad mouth-watering.

The combination I like to use is pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries: the three primary colors contrast against each other.

If the colors lack contrast and food looks dull, there's less of an inclination to reach for the fruit salad bowl.

When doing an apples, strawberries, and blueberries combo, I add two or three different-colored apples and keep the skin on, though strawberries will be the brightest in the bowl.

Carefully select flavors.

The contrast of colors draws diners in, but that is step one. What especially matters next to nourishing them is pleasing their taste buds. For instance, when using apples, adding a sour apple along with a sweeter variety gives a contrast in flavor.

It also adds a crunchy texture.

Pineapple or mango will add a more tropical taste. Strawberries go with just about anything.

The combinations of fruits are just about endless, but they must look good together as to be complementary in flavor. I would also recommend not putting too many kinds of fruit into the salad and stick to only three or four.

Keep it bite-sized.

Be sure the pieces of fruit are not too big. For reference, observe the size and think: "Does this fit on a fork or spoon?"

Each piece should be bite-sized. It is easier to eat that way.

The fruit salad I observed get tossed in the compost pile had blueberries with pineapple and honeydew melon chunks cut too large.

Not only that, but the color combination was also dull (blue, green, and yellow). Also, melon and pineapple aren't the most complimentary flavors.

Use the good fruit.

The fruit must be ripe. Don't use a green pineapple. It is not sweet. Fruit should not be over-ripe either because sickening-sweet is a turn-off as well.

Sort through the fruit while washing it to make sure nothing is mushy, bruised, or going bad. Taste-testing is recommended.

Cut fruit does not keep for long and some only work if the fruit salad is to be served fresh and not as left-overs.

Bananas turn brown and mushy fast and this will ruin the texture. Do not add bananas unless the salad is to be eaten right away. Apples and melons go bad after a day or two.

Always serve your fruit salad fresh!

The secret ingredient is OJ.

To make your fruit salad tangy and savory, add a dash of orange juice.

Toss the fruit (with a spoon or gloved hands) to make sure it all gets coated.

I've heard of citrus helping the fruit to keep a little longer, but I get very few leftovers when I add orange juice to know whether or not that is true.