4 Tips for Keeping Yourself Motivated

4 Tips for Keeping Yourself Motivated

Tips to help you remain positive and energetic throughout the stress in your life.

11
4 Tips for Keeping Yourself Motivated

Wake up. Coffee. Get dressed. Brush teeth. School. Work. Gym. Homework. Life can be so mundane. While routines are good and allow us to be productive, life just gets hard to live. When you do the same things day after day, it’s likely you’ll lose steam and become less motivated to put forth your best effort. You stay up late every night trying to cram in everything you need to, and the lack of sleep gets the better of you (no matter how many cups of coffee you consume). Eventually, all these feelings culminate to produce a rather bitter you. And that’s not good for you, your friends, or your work. Here are several tips that can help you remain positive and energetic throughout all the stress in your life.

Set daily goals.I have found this to be tremendously helpful. Setting goals can be portrayed in many different forms. Maybe you like to create a checklist of things you have to complete for the day, or you have a “to-do list” app. Whatever method you choose, setting goals is a great way to motivate yourself. First of all, when you can physically see all the things you need to do, it’s easier to prioritize, which can maximize your efficiency. Then, once you’ve completed the task you chose, you get to cross it out! That means one less thing you have to do! As you go down your list, you’ll slowly see it dwindle to five items…then three…and before you know it, you’ll have completed everything you needed to. You’ll find that being aware of your productivity feels pretty good.

Go to the gym. When you work out, you release endorphins, which (like we have learned from Elle Woods) has a positive impact on your body and mind. You’ll feel good about yourself and feel much more energized, make time to work out – whether its early in the morning, between classes, or in the evening. Keep a pair of (clean) gym clothes in your car, so if you ever find yourself with a few spare hours before class, you can go on over and release those much needed endorphins. (Side Note: you don’t have to go to the gym either, you can run around the block or even go to your school’s running track. Both valid options.) Along the same lines, make sure that you’re eating healthy. Not to say you can’t have some milk and cookies from time to time, but healthy food keeps your body healthy, which will also help to keep you energized and feeling good.

Get involved. Deviate from your routine every once and a while and go to that school event, or get involved in a club, or join an intramural sport. Take the initiative to go out and meet more peers, people from your biology class or people who live near you that you may not know yet. You don’t’ have to be everybody’s best friend, but the more people you know, the more chance you have of being surrounded by good company. Being involved will also allow you the opportunity to break your routine every once and a while. For example, if you participate in intramural sports, you’ll have games to attend a few times a week. If you join a club, you will attend meetings and meet new people. With these options, your brain and body get a break from the stress of our daily routine, but you’re still being productive and active.

Finally, take some time to relax. Every so often, you should set aside a few hours for yourself to do something that you like to do. Maybe it’s as simple as cozying up on your couch with a book, or watching a couple episodes of Parks and Recreation before getting back to work. Whatever it is that will relax your mind for just a little while, do it. No good comes from overworking yourself. You’ll just be constantly tired, and you’ll lose focus. That is not the recipe for success. There’s no harm in taking an hour or so for you and getting refreshed and refocused.