How to Host a Barbeque Cookout on a Budget

As summer winds down to a close, schools are beginning to hold classes again, and vacations have been enjoyed before fall and all the craziness of fall sports and work schedules begins. You may wish to host just one more backyard barbeque party before summer's end. However, after all the vacations and school shopping, your party budget may be rather low. Have no fear! It is highly possible to feed several friends on a budget. In fact, you can feed a rather sizable crew for $100.

81919
Barbeque Cookout on a Budget
https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-man-cooking-meat-1482803/

1. You don't have to feed steak to a crowd.

If you intend to have a dozen or so at your backyard BBQ party, then skimp on pricey meats such as steak. In fact, most of your friends will be happy to eat hamburgers and hot dogs. This is especially true if some of your party involves children.

In fact, if you want to add a few "fancy" pieces to the meal, you can easily take a small amount of chicken and make kabobs as an appetizer. Simply cut the chicken into bite size pieces, add some cubed potatoes and sliced peppers for a tasty treat.

2. Opt for sides that aren't costly, or, ask your guests to provide sides.

You can visit your local farmer's market and pick up a few ears of corn for a great side (grilled corn with the right spices is a huge hit at most BBQ's). You can also offer chips and a homemade dip as a side option (rotel is easy to make for a crowd and very cheap!).

There's also the option of asking each friend or family to bring a side dish. Ask friends to bring baked beans and potato salad or a dessert. Most friends will offer to bring something when invited, so why not let them?

3. Shop for your main meats at a wholesale club.

If you don't have a card, ask one of your friends if they'll accompany you to go while you buy meat in bulk. An alternative is to watch your local groceries for sales. Although meat in general is higher this year than in past years at the same time, it is possible your local grocer will hit a deal and pass the savings on to customers.

Some groceries will offer bulk packages of hamburger meat as well. This time of year, you're also likely to see sales on hot dogs.

4. Don't be afraid to use "the fine china," but don't rush out to buy it, either.

Although paper plates and utensils make for easy clean-up, unless you already have plenty available (maybe from a previous get-together), then you could actually waste money from your budget on these items. Plastic cups are also highly priced this time of year. Go ahead and use your own plates and utensils (and glasses) rather than spending $20 or more on paper products for the event.

5. Avoid buying loads of liquor for the event.

Again, unless you already have some beer or wine in your pantry, don't waste money on buying lots of alcohol for your backyard party. You can spend a significant amount of your budget doing so.

If your friends offer, allow them to bring the alcohol. However, keep in mind you want your food to be the highlight of the party, so spend the bulk of your money there.