How To Have The Perfect Friendsgiving

How To Have The Perfect Friendsgiving

A recipe to turn friends into family.

28
How To Have The Perfect Friendsgiving
Squarespace.com

When those late night talks turn into early mornings, you know your college friends have turned into your second family.

Even though I may not always let them know, each year I am thankful for my my housemates and friends for helping make this semester bearable.

Thanksgiving is a great time to let people know how thankful you are for them just being them. There's no better way to celebrate than over food!

Here's a family recipe for the perfect Friendsgiving:

1. Pick the time and place

Pick a mutually agreeable time when you are all free for Friendsgiving. Even if the only time all parties are free is late in the evening, prepare during the day of the event by snacking.

2. Design the meal.

Have each member attending Friendsgiving decide what dish they will prepare. Make sure at least one person prepares an appetizer, an entree and a dessert.

(I'm personally in favor of more people making desserts).

If by chance one person decides they do not want to/are cooking or baking inclined that's OK. Make a deal with them; have them wash the dishes after the meal. It's a win-win for everyone.

3. Go on a food scavenger hunt.

Look through your kitchen pantry supply. Determine what ingredients you have to make things and what you need to borrow or buy.

Remember, sharing is caring. Ask your friends if they are making shopping trips and if they can pick up some things you need to. Or if you are making a trip, ask them if they need anything that you can get.

4. Prepare the feast

The day of Friendsgiving, start the baking and cooking with your friends early. Don't want to get too hangry!

Determine how long each dish takes to make and which one should go in the oven first. Bake and cook everything with love and friendship.

For added success: Have a mini-karaoke session in the kitchen. Spatulas and wooden spoons make great microphones.

4. Safety first

If, while baking or cooking, you smell something burning, let others know. Always remember safety first! Sometimes the burning might just mean that you'll have extra crispy sweet potato fries or extra melted brown sugar. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. Feast your eyes on your success

Set out all the food. At this point, you might want to take a group selfie with the food. You worked hard for this meal and deserve to relish in your success.

Now, for the best part, get out plates, cups, utensils or just use your hands and...commence the feast!!!

On your first round, grab a little bit of everything to see what you like best.

Pro tip: If there isn't a big enough table for all of you to sit comfortably around, sit in a circle on the floor for added friendship bonding.

6. Add a movie to your dinner

Now, that you've determined what dishes are your favorites. Have seconds, thirds, fourths.

Before everyone gets too full, decide on a movie to watch. It can be Thanksgiving themed or a movie that reminds you all of your childhood.

The person who is the least full will use their willpower to get up and start the movie. Be sure to thank this least full person.

7. Enjoy your time together

Digest, watch the movie and admire as your late dinner turns into early morning leftovers.