10 Tips To Have A Successful Interview

10 Tips To Have A Successful Interview

It can be nerve wracking to plan for, but these tips will ensure a successful interview.

22

At this point in our lives, we have a ton going on. Between planning for furthering our education, and potential career options, we are constantly thinking about what's next. Before you can further your future, you need to first have an interview with wherever you are headed. Whether it's continuing your education, an internship, or a job interview, there are ways to nail it and come out feeling good about yourself.

1. Dress for success

This is cliché, and everyone has heard this a million and one times. But, I'm going to tell you again. Dress like you want the part. You should never roll up to a job interview in jeans, sweats, leggings, sweatshirts, ratty T-shirts, or anything of that nature. An ideal outfit would be something business casual. Dress pants and a nice shirt. Make yourself look presentable.

Seeing you walk in wearing whatever you decide to wear to this interview is their first impression of you, and you want it to be a good one. This just shows them that you take this seriously, you take your appearance to the general public seriously, and that you want an opportunity at employment or education with them.

2. Arrive with time to spare

Always try to get there a few minutes early. At least 10 minutes early. Plan accordingly. Leave with plenty of time to spare in case of traffic or an incident. This is another way to show who you are interviewing with that you are taking this seriously and want to be there. If you show up late, you'll give them the impression that you didn't really care and that you wouldn't be able to show up to work or class on time.

3. Prepare for questions that you may be asked

Why do you want a job here? What benefits would you get out of an internship with us? What kind of hours are you looking for? These are some general questions, but I can almost guarantee you will be asked them. Prepare for these questions so when you're in the interview you aren't making stuff up on the fly.

4. Research the facility you are interviewing with

Know who you are interviewing with. What their goals are and their expectations. Make sure this is somewhere you feel comfortable spending a good chunk of your time. Make sure it's a field you're interested in. These are things you need to look into, because if you get the job or the internship, and you start your work only to find out it's not what you wanted, it's not going to be enjoyable for you.

5. Be calm

When speaking with the interviewer, you're probably going to be nervous. Just try to keep your cool, and keep calm. Make eye contact with the interviewer, it makes you look engaged in the conversation. Do not fidget with your hands or other objects surrounding you. Make sure you are actively listening to the interviewer, as long as you keep calm and focused, it should go smoothly.

6. Ask lots of questions

This is another, get to know the interviewer before you end up somewhere you're not going to like. Ask what the work atmosphere is like, what kinds of tasks you'll be doing. The interviewer wants to hear your questions, because it shows you have done your research about the facility.

7. Body language is important

Remember to watch your body language. Show the interviewer that you are engaged in the conversation and that you are listening. With that being said, don't fidget and don't slouch. Sit up straight, make eye contact, nod, and actively listen to what they are saying to you.

8. Thank the interviewer

Make sure to thank them for their time. Regardless of if you get the position or not, they did see a potential in you. They took the time out of their day to get to know you with the possiblity of letting you join their facility, as an intern, employer, whatever the case may be. So just make sure to thank them, in person, by email, or postal mail. It'll go a long way.

9. Follow up with them after

After the interview, maybe a few days after, just give them a call. I've done this many times, and the employers actually really like to hear from you. They like to know that you are interested in their facility. This is such a great way to show that you want to be there.

10. Be yourself

When you go to your interview, don't try to be someone you're not. Just be yourself and go with the flow. If you don't get the internship or job, they probably just didn't see a fit, but there's plenty of other places to look into. It's better knowing that it's not a good fit before getting hired anyways, again so you don't end up somewhere you'll end up disliking. Regardless, with these tips you are bound to have a successful interview.