The Best Ways To Prioritize Quality Time With Your Partner When You're Both Busy

11 Ways To Make Sure You Get Enough Quality Time, When You Both Work 40+ Hours A Week

It's not always easy when your schedules are packed, but you make it work.

136
Instagram

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year, and the one thing we learned is that we are really busy people. He works a construction job during the day weekdays, takes class three nights a week and teaches line dances at night on weekends. I work for a transportation company during the day, DJ on the weekends, go to school and work an internship in editorial.

People always wonder how we ever get any alone time. They usually are surprised that we've made it this far with our schedules being so crazy all the time. "Do you ever get to see each other?" The answer is yes. We make the time, even if it's not long and we are always sure to make it last!

Here are 11 ways to make sure you and your honey get plenty of quality time, when you both have crazy busy schedules:

Designate a date night.

Date night is super important for any couple, but especially a busy one! My boyfriend and I specifically have Sunday mornings to get breakfast together every week. It's something we both look forward to since that's usually our only day off anyway.

Phone calls.

I know this isn't "exactly" quality time. But it makes a huge difference in your day. It may seem crazy, but everyday when I get out of work, I always call my boyfriend on my way home. It's become such a habit now that I don't even think about it. The calls don't usually last longer than, at most, 10 minutes. But those 10 minutes can make a huge difference in your day.

Wake up early.

I'm not saying to get up at 4 a.m. and watch a movie together, but what my boyfriend and I do is set our alarms in the morning about 15-20 minutes before we have to get up for work. When that first alarm goes off, it's the cuddle alarm. This means that for the first 15-20 minutes of your day, you are cuddling up with your favorite person. It's the perfect way to start your day right.

Visit each other.

If either one of you has a break while the other is still in class or at work, visit them! Take a ride to them and surprise them with their favorite drink and snack. The small gesture will brighten up their day and you both will be happy cause you'll get to see each other.

Sleepovers.

If you don't live with your significant other, sleepovers are the next best thing. Your schedules may be chaotic as hell, but being able to go to bed lying next to them gives you the quality time that you never even knew you needed.

Coffee breaks.

Now, my boyfriend and I don't exactly do this because I can't drink coffee. But I've seen a lot of people who take their 10-15 minute breaks and meet up for a quick coffee. Granted this only really works if you work close to each other, but it's still a great way to get some quality time in!

Play hooky. 

So my boyfriend and I definitely haven't done this because we both need to work as much as we can, but I know a lot of couples who designate a day every so often where they call out sick and play hooky to spend time together. Everyone deserves a mental health day, why not spend it with your boo?

Lunch date.

This one is tough for some, but works great for others! When my boyfriend was working second shift, we were able to meet up for lunch every day that week! It's at least a half hour of quality time you get to spend with your partner!

Pillow talk.

Right before bed, take 10-15 minutes to lay together and talk about your day. All the good, all the bad, just sit and talk with each other. This little time spent together before you go to bed can actually make you sleep better. If my boyfriend and I didn't do this, I honestly probably wouldn't sleep.

FaceTime.

This is another one where you might not be "actually" together, but it makes a difference. Before I moved in with my boyfriend, there would sometimes be a gap in between the times where we'd get to see each other. So, to make up for it, we would Facetime before bed. This is perfect for the couple that work jobs where they have to travel. Getting to see them and hear their voice can immediately calm your nerves.

Shower together.

I know what you're thinking, "isn't that a little silly?" or "Won't that just end in sex?" The answer? No. Showering with your partner can actually be a great way for you to be closer together. It's intimate in a way that doesn't have to end in sex, but gives you the same closeness. It can be very relaxing too, if you add candles and really make it romantic. Plus, you'll be saving water!