9 Tips On Being Organized For The Year That Will Set You Up For Success

What better time than the start to get things together?

106

School has officially started, which means it's time to get organized and stay that way for the semester. Here are a few ways you can get organized:

1. Use a planner

A planner is essential for a college student. School is full of due dates, club meetings, and appointments. Using a planner is one of the most efficient ways to keep track of all the dates. Planners will also allow you to write your to-do's for each day showing you what needs to be accomplished every day.

2. Use Google Calendar 

Using an online calendar like Google Calendar is a great way to keep track of times of events. It has a setting to give you a notification before events to help you keep track of time. It also allows you to color code events which are very helpful.

3. Figure out what types of supplies will be helpful for your classes

Take the first few weeks of class to see what supplies will be helpful. If you need to take lots of notes, a notebook will probably be helpful. If you have lots of handouts, a binder may be good to have.

4. Write down all important dates at the beginning of the semester

After the first week of classes, you should take time to sit down and mark down all your due dates in your planner or digital calendar. If you do this early on, all important dates will be marked down from the very beginning of the semester.

5. Plan at the beginning of the week

It is extremely helpful to take time before the week starts to add in all the events that will be going on throughout the week. After you do this, you will see where you have free time that can be used to do homework or hang out with friends.

6. Keep your supplies organized

Find a place to keep your supplies when you are not using them. If your binders and notebooks have a place to be when they are not being used, they will not get lost.

7. Make a to-do list

Writing a to-do list every day is a great way to visually see what tasks need to be done by the end of the day. You can also create multiple mini lists like one for school, another for work, and one for personal stuff.

8. Pack your backpack the night before

Pack your backpack the before you go to bed with the materials you need for class the next day. If you do this, you won't be scrambling the next morning to get everything together when you are in a rush to get to class.

9. Review your schedule the night before

Spend five or so minutes every night before you go to bed to look over your schedule for the upcoming day. It always helps to know what is happening the next day.