5 Ways To Stay Organized

How To Live Your Best Organized Life

It may not be easy but, in the end, it's worth it.

114
How To Live Your Best Organized Life
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/911859

With the school year fast approaching, it's about time to figure out how you're going to get your life back together after falling out of your routine all summer. Or maybe you get need a way to get organized fast. This year, I've made it my mission to get more organized and stop running around not knowing what I'm doing. Throughout this process, I've figured out a few things that are essential to helping me stay organized.

1. Planner

https://giphy.com/gifs/snl-3o6EhDRMFQHWJ7dRMA

This is the number one most basic essential to staying organized. If I make a doctor's appointment, hair appointment, or even a lunch with friends, I immediately write it in my planner. As soon as I get my syllabus for a class I write down any major assignments that are already scheduled for the class. Don't rely on your own memory to keep up with your schedule. Planners come in all different formats so find one that makes sense for what you are looking to accomplish. My favorite style is a weekly spread that is laid out with "morning," "afternoon," and "evening" sections. I don't always know a specific time that some things are happening, but if I do I make sure to write that down too.

2. Calendar

https://giphy.com/gifs/filmeditor-horror-rosemarys-baby-roman-polanski-l2YWxPbinlJYX5zMc

Okay, so it might seem like you're over-doing it to have a planner and a calendar but hear me out: the planner is for your day-to-day schedule and the calendar is for long-term plans. Write down appointments made in advance, vacations, and other big events on your calendar. This way, if you're making more plans for the future, you can see which days you will be unavailable without flipping through all of your weeks. It's a broader view of what your schedule is going to look like. Keep your smaller plans for your weekly planner and save your calendar for only the most important things.

3. To Do Lists

https://giphy.com/gifs/dog-chores-aSZSj0mT8f6tW

There are multiple ways you can keep to do lists. I like to keep them in my planner along with my weekly plans, but you can also keep them in a separate notebook, on your desk, in your purse or wallet, the possibilities are endless. Your to do lists are going to be for small tasks that you don't necessarily have to plan in advance. Make a list every day of the small things you need to get done that day such as chores, parts of assignments, or different errands. Your lists can also include things you may need to purchase such as groceries or new clothes.

4. Declutter Regularly

https://giphy.com/gifs/thegoodplace-season-2-nbc-3o7WIE14z2d66BJWJa

I will admit that this is something I also need to work on. I'm guilty of leaving things in random places but explaining it away because "I know where everything is." However, I've also found that I can't work as hard when my workspace is messy. Then, instead of working, I spend my time procrastinating by cleaning everything until I'm too tired to get any work done. To prevent this from happening, declutter as you go every day. Don't leave trash on your desk, put it in the trashcan. Put papers and other items back where they go when you're done using them. If not, then set aside some time each day to put things away once you've finished your work.

5. Work in Order of Importance

https://giphy.com/gifs/JIX9t2j0ZTN9S

I will admit, this is something I also need to work on. I'm guilty of leaving things in random places but explaining it away because "I know where everything is." However, I've also found that I can't work as hard when my workspace is messy. Then, instead of working, I spend my time procrastinating by cleaning everything until I'm too tired to get any work done. To prevent this from happening, declutter as you go every day. Don't leave trash on your desk, put it in the trashcan. Put papers and other items back where they go when you're done using them. If not, then set aside some time each day to put things away once you've finished your work.

These are just a few ways that you can help yourself get more organized. There are a million different options out there and they all work differently for different people. It's all about trying new things and figuring out what does or doesn't work for you. But, if you make a conscious effort, you can get your life together in no time.