5 Tactics To Help You When Counting Sheep Doesn't Work

Good night, Sleep tight.

71
Uncommon Goods

Did you know that about 1 in 3 people have trouble sleeping at night, or some form of insomnia. Insomnia is more common than we think and it may affect you or someone you know. There are several characteristics that someone may possess that will place them in the category of having insomnia including having trouble going to sleep, waking up in the middle of the night and/or waking up earlier than planned. Any of these sound familiar? Here are some tips that will help you combat these symptoms.

1. Place your phone a few feet from your bed

Most of us are constantly on our phones checking Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat before bed. However, having the bright light shine at night is not the best thing for our eyes. The light distracts us, no matter how low your brightness is, and it causes your brain to stay up longer. We are also keeping our brain active as we take in information about what our friends are up to.

2. Drink something warm at night.

If your grandmother is anything like mine, drinking tea is always the answer when you’re not feeling like yourself. However, drinking tea (such as chamomile tea) is great to ease your body and calm down. Do not drink the tea right before bed so you're not getting up in the middle of the night for the restroom. Drinking it after dinner, about an hour before you sleep should be sufficient time. It causes you to feel relaxed which will help you get a great night’s sleep. My suggestion? Hot chamomile tea with a little milk and sugar will do the trick.

3. Avoid bright lights such as your TV and computer at least an hour before bed.

Similar to having your phone on, the TV and computer’s lights are not great for your eyes. No matter how many times you’ve seen that episode, your brain is taking in new information which is causing it to work when you are trying to wind down. If you like to hear something to put you to sleep, try adding a sleep playlist to your phone. Add music that is calming, but suits your taste.

4. Take time to meditate before bed.

Meditation is great before bed. It gives you time to think about your day and reflect. Again, using music to help you get into a zen zone is great. Just close your eyes and sit down in a comfortable spot. As you’re sitting, relax one part of your body at a time. Wiggle your legs often? Try to keep them as still as you can, and then work your way up your body as you relax your torso, arms, neck and head. Be aware of the rhythm of your heart as your body is completely still and relaxed. You may feel as if you’re not being completely still or you might move your body and twitch at first, but eventually, you will relax yourself until you’re tranquil enough to go to sleep. Plus, in doing so, you will be practicing mindfulness before sleeping while preparing to go to bed.

5. Do not eat at least an hour before you plan to sleep.

You do not want to be constantly getting up in the middle of the night when you have just gotten comfortable. Try to eat about two hours before you go to sleep to give your food time to digest. It is also best for you so that you do not have the feeling of heaviness on your chest from the heavy dinner you might have eaten.

Following these 5 steps should help you feel refreshed in the morning. It takes effort to relax but once you get in the routine, you’ll wake up feeling better the next morning. Practice this for a few days and compare how you feel before and after trying one, a few or all of these tactics!