How to Feed your Travel Bug During a Pandemic

Finding Adventure In the State of Rhode Island

55

Because of COVID-19, a lot of our big plans for travel were interrupted: some of us cancelled vacations, some of us cancelled trips to see family, some of us were unable to experience a semester abroad. Throughout all of this disappointment, we have all realized the importance of social distancing and staying safe during this time. Our travel bug however, has not gone away. Going to school in Providence is great for this, for you can enjoy the city or go to a beach community without having to travel from state to state. Here is a list of 8 places you can go to in Rhode Island, perfect for both the city explorer or beach lover, while remaining socially distant.

1. Prospect Terrace Hill

This park is right in Providence, about a 10-minute drive from the Providence College campus. This spot has been a personal favorite of mine since my freshman year, for the view is pretty in all seasons. It overlooks the city of Providence with a perfect view of the RI State House, one of the most prominent buildings in the city. The spot makes for amazing pictures and is close to Thayer Street for some shopping and food as well!

QR3 - Roger Williams National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

2. Water Place Park

During this pandemic, it seems as if I am always seeing people outside and exercising as much as possible. Water Place Park in Providence is a beautiful path along the river with cobblestone walkways and plenty of photo opportunities, making it a perfect walk to do with friends. It is conveniently located in the middle of the city, across from the Providence Place Mall.

3. Federal Hill

Federal Hill is a favorite spot for dinner amongst Providence College students. This street is about 10 minutes from campus and is full of incredible Italian restaurants. It is the perfect spot to take your visiting family and friends to. Some of these amazing restaurants, and my personal favorites, include Cassarino's and Trattoria Zooma.

4. Cliff Walk

The Cliff Walk is in Newport, RI. This is a little further away, about a 50-minute drive from campus. However, it is worth the car ride! This 3.5 mile walk along the Rhode Island coast line includes beautiful ocean views and the impressive mansions of Newport as well.

5. Broadway District

The Broadway District is also in Newport and is a great area for shopping. This area is made up of 6 blocks of restaurants and stores. The stores here are unique, for they are locally owned and can't be found in your average mall. You can go thrifting, hear live music, and enjoy bakeries and coffee shops, of course while wearing a mask!

6. Beavertail Lighthouse

This lighthouse is in Jamestown, RI and features gorgeous views of Narragansett Bay. It is about a 50-minute drive from campus, and there are trails to walk and a park to relax in while enjoying the stunning ocean views. You can also walk along the rocks surrounding the lighthouse, a popular spot to watch the sunset!

Beavertail Lighthouse - Wikipedia

7. Narragansett Beach

This beach is about 45 minutes from campus. It is great to take walks on and a favorite beach for many surfers! It has multiple great seafood restaurants in the surrounding town as well. It is well worth the drive, for it is an extremely popular beach among locals.

8. Watch Hill

Watch Hill is my personal favorite beach in all of Rhode Island, for it has gorgeous views and giant waves. The downtown area is full of very cute shops and places to eat. The houses around here are stunning. Fun fact: in the picture below, the giant white house overlooking the beach belongs to Taylor Swift!

Watch Hill Beach & Carousel | Hulafrog Glastonbury-Middletown, CT