How To Deal With A Bad Roommate

7 Ways To Deal With A Bad Roommate

From them not picking up after themselves to them just being a total mess.

69

I know this is hard to hear, but at some point in your life, you will have a bad roommate. It may not always be an absolutely terrible roommate, but you will have one that does at least one or two things that just drive you crazy. Here are 7 ways to deal with a bad roommate.

1. Set up a roommate contract.

media.giphy.com

When you first move in together, write up a contract that covers the main points of possible conflict. Most of the time, this includes things like guest policies, quiet times, what areas and things are shared and what is not, etc. In this contract, also include how you wish to solve any problems that may arise. This can include sitting down and talking it out together or, if you live in a dorm, you can bring problems to your RA.

2. Open up a line of communication.

media.giphy.com

This goes along with point 1, but it is imperative to have a peaceful relationship with one another. It is okay if you and your roommates don't talk a lot, but make sure that you do have a way to talk to each other about any problems that arise. Whether this is using a third party like an RA or a mutual friend, or just sitting down and talking, it is much better than bottling everything up inside.

3. Use a different schedule.

media.giphy.com

If you find that you are getting easily annoyed when your roommate is home, try using a different schedule. If you know that you are home doing nothing at noon, but they are home making a lot of noise, try going somewhere else. This one may be a little more difficult, but you could even try scheduling your classes or work based off their schedule so you're home while they're in class or school and vice versa.

4. Get out of the house.

media.giphy.com

I find that it's quite difficult for me to do my work when my roommate is in the room because she often will listen to music or watch TV without headphones and I can't concentrate. Now, when I have to do something like study, I get out of the house to do it. On nice days, I will go sit on the green and enjoy being outside while studying. On not-so-nice days or when it's too dark, I will usually go to the library, the cafeteria, or one of the lounges in the dorm.

5. Vent about it.

media.giphy.com

Nothing is worse than keeping all of your feelings bottled up. If you have a roommate that is causing you a lot of stress, try venting it out. Try talking to a friend or calling a parent. If you don't feel like venting to anyone about it, try journaling. Just make sure to get all those emotions out so you don't lash out at your roommate.

6. Eye mask and ear plugs.

media.giphy.com

A lot of roommate complaints come at night. If you live in a dorm, it can be hard to go to bed at night if your roommate isn't going to bed at the same time. If your roommate is someone who likes to do work at night or listen to music without headphones, an eye mask and a pair of earplugs can save you.

7. Move out.

media.giphy.com

This is not a solution that can work for everyone, but it could be the best solution. If you live on a college campus, try looking into if you can pay a little more or apply for a single room. If you really want a room to yourself, but cannot afford it, try applying to be an RA. Also look into moving into a small apartment by yourself or with friends you think you would like living with.

Living with a roommate can be a difficult but necessary experience. Remember to take a breath and try to make the most out of the experience.