8 Ways To Curve Writer's Block

8 Ways To Curve Writer's Block

If you feel that your best work is still in the process of writing or editing, ask for an extension so your article will be at its best.

20
8 Ways To Curve Writer's Block

1. Write about how you have nothing to write about.

Hence, what I am exactly doing now. Writer's block and loss of motivation is normal for many creators and editors. When individuals read writing tips about having absolutely nothing to create, it can spark an idea and even create some motivation. If you have never heard of Charles Bukowski, (I haven't until right now) he is a poet that once said, "Writing about a writer's block is better than writing nothing at all." The sense of having zero motivation for writing happens all of the time and each creator is bound to hit that point sometime in their career.

2. Identify what is keeping you from writing.

There are a few causes that can accompany writer's block. Cause number one is time. Do not sit down and try to brainstorm at the wrong time when you could be outside taking a walk or hanging out with friends. Random ideas will pop up and if you don't already carry a notebook and pen with you, jot those ideas down in your phone. A simple walk down the block can be your perfect timing. Cause number two is often fear. Fear of how many readers will read your article, who will share it, and what will people think about it. Push it aside and write about what YOU want to write about. There is nothing motivational about making up a story just to reach the word count. It really does not matter what others think, it matters what you think. The last and final cause is perfectionism. Always remember that perfect is the enemy of good. One can never simple be perfect at anything, yet maybe they can master the art of writing but never be perfect.

3. If you can't identify then read other's articles.

I find myself gazing through the New York Times just to spark up an idea that can lead me to an article. Never copying any work, but simply gathering a few details that can turn into something worthy of actually reading. Reading about the National Dog Show can turn into "10 Different Reasons To Always Treat Your Pooch." Reading about a fashion show can transform into "The Best Organic Materials To Look For In Clothing." Ideas are out there, just go searching.

4. Use your own experience.

A bad date? A book you can't seem to finish? Do you hate algebra? All of your experiences are not boring and I am sure some reader out there will appreciate snippets of your life. Who doesn't love reading about a date that went wrong, or the perfect date! Thinking back to some of my best articles, my heartbreak was one of my most popular pieces. Most popular because many can relate. If you share an experience that others can relate to, you'll have a kick ass story.

5. Share the best articles you've ever read and comment on them.

The amount of articles that are truly out there are intense. Guaranteed you will find one idea that can turn into 500 or more words. "The Ultimate Productivity Hack is Saying No", "The Surprising Benefits of Journaling One Sentence Every Day", or "7 Ways to Retain More of Every Book You Read" are simple yet detailed articles to write. Why couldn't you think of any of those topics? Well same, I pulled them off of Best Articles: Over 100 Interesting Articles to Read by James Clear. Check out that article when your writer's block is so strong because out of 100 pieces to write about, you must find something.

6. Don't be afraid to ask for an extension.

If you procrastinate, that's okay because some people get their best work done at the last minute. However, writers have multiple deadlines and drafts they must complete before the final is good to go. Many companies take weeks and weeks to develop a final draft. But if you feel that your best work is still in the process of writing or editing, ask for an extension so your article will be at its best, you'll probably feel better to knowing your absolute finest writing is out there.

7. Pick up what's going on around you.

Society is a broad topic so dig deeper. What's going around town, your college, and on social media? If you take your college newspaper and check out some articles, the little inspiration you had may expand to see the problems going on around you everyday. A newspaper mainly has five categories, news, feature, opinion, arts & entertainment, and sports, Reading a sports article about a student who broke their leg? A broken leg can turn into "How to Care For Your Body During the Season." Taking local problems can expand into huge issues individuals face in everyday life. Always go for detail because each glimpse in someone's life can carry your article.

8. Write about tips.

Tips on how to curve writer's block makes a great article. Tips on how to stay healthy, follow your passion, and how to apply makeup, are all interesting topics. Many individuals don't fully read articles, they skim. For a few quick tips that are an easy read will flow traffic to your page and get you a few clicks.