5 Crucial Things I Had to Learn By Myself Going Into College
Education

*Calls mom* "Should I wash my darks in hot or cold water?"

435

As the school year approaches, I'm seeing a ton of back to school related articles. Here's another one for you!! I'm going into my second year now and looking back, I've picked up a few things I'd like to share with you.

1. How often to do laundry

I did laundry whenever my mom asked me too, I didn't worry about how often it happened. Now, whether or not I should be washing my laundry weekly or biweekly seemed to be a prominent question on my mind.

2. How to budget effectively 

I've had to budget before, but both my parents are fortunate to have full-time jobs, so there's no doubt that they've helped me 99% of the time before college. Now, while they still help immensely, I've had to budget more and more effectively on what's necessary and what's not — and it's hard.

3. How to be assertive

In high school, mom could just call the school and make arrangments for me to be able to do something. In college, a professor would most likely laugh on the phone. As I get older, I have to learn how to pick and choose my own battles — no matter if it is with residence life or a professor.

4. How to manage time wisely 

I've learned that it's up to you to manage your social life, work, family, meals, showers, sleep, and every other aspect of your life in order to maintain good grades. It's super stressful but super rewarding.

5. It's important to branch out, but just as important to remember your roots

I talked a lot about how I've learned to branch off of my folks, but in all honesty, as much as we bicker and argue, they are always a phone call away.

No matter how old I get, I will always be the baby in the family. While it's important to know when to move on from certain things, it's just as important clutch onto the things you need most.