The World Won’t End If You Don’t Choose The ‘Perfect College,' Because 'Perfect Colleges' Don't Exist

It may seem like the world will end if you don't choose the "perfect" school, but in reality, there isn't a perfect school.
61

The end of March is here, which means there's only a little more than a month until final college decisions are required of the respective schools you're interested in. Some students applied to a school knowing that they'd be confirming their attendance the second they got their acceptance letters. Other students have a few schools in mind and are letting the money talk in terms of where they're heading. And then there are those students who have absolutely no idea what they want to do, where they want to go or have any answers at all.

If you're in the latter group: don't worry.

The college choice decision may seem like the difference between life and death, and that there is only one right answer. It might seem like the weight of the world is on your shoulders — constantly being asked by peers, teachers, relatives, and even strangers where you plan on spending your next four years. However, if you are stuck between a few fine institutions, you honestly can't make a bad choice.

So much of what your college experience will be is what you personally make of it, and you can have an amazing experience at nearly any school. Even the school you thought would be your dream school might not be as incredible once you actually attend there. Perspective is everything, and just having a solid mindset going into your school year will make all of the difference.

If you didn't get into your dream school: don't worry.

Despite great hope and effort, I didn't get into an Ivy League school that I thought I actually had a chance at. Looking back on it two years later, however, I realize that not getting in there made it an easy choice for me to pick my school, and I truly couldn't be happier with my decision. It might seem crushing to not get into a school that you had your heart set on, but it actually might be the best thing that could happen.

Also with your decision, don't judge a school by its cover. If you get a decent amount of money to a school that you think is "beneath you," don't be so quick to push it aside in favor of a school with a flashier name or a higher price tag. Tour a school, talk to current students and try to get the best impression of the school you can before you decide. Don't go to a school just because your friend goes, choose a school that you love, and if your friend also attends that's just a bonus.

No matter where you end up or what school you decide on, make next year, and the other three years, the best you possibly can. Go into with an open mind to make friends, join organizations, and find yourself. You will grow so much as an individual, and the school you choose isn't as significant as what you will allow yourself to get out of a college education.