How I beat depression

How I beat depression

and how you can too.

24
How I beat depression
Friends of SW Turtles

Hello readers!

I apologize, I have been absolutely horrible about blogging this school year. Life has just gotten crazy with school, work, and other life things as I will be graduating in about 3 weeks, but I wanted to take a moment to share something important.

As many of you know, I have been through a lot. Most people have been through a lot. I have struggled with both anxiety and depression for most of my life, and to be quite honest, I have a pretty good life. How? I've learned how to cope with my issues in a healthy way.

I'll be honest though, it hasn't always been this way. I've dealt with dark times of self-harm and suicidal thoughts. Once I figured out how to cope in a healthy way, I was able to pull myself out of that dark place, and I wanted to share just how I did it with you.

First of all, I started to rely on my support system a little better. I can guarantee you, there are ALWAYS going to be people that care about you. Call your mom or dad. Facetime with a sibling or a long-distance best friend. Hang out with local friends that might be able to cheer you up. And if worse comes to worst, you can always contact the Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK or you can text the Crisis Textline by texting "CONNECT" to 741741.

Next, I started to focus on some of my passions. Music has always been something that has been there for me. However, it's easy to get wrapped up in some of the depressing music that's out there. Here is a list of some of the music that has gotten me by. Music got me by not just because some of the words in the songs, but because of the people behind it. I've always been big into the alternative music scene, and when you go to a concert for one of these bands, it's like one big family. I've been to shows that everyone is crying and hugging each other by the end. Some of these bands are always spreading messages about loving yourself and not giving up. When I was 18, I got a tattoo on my ribcage of the symbol used in the "Hope" music video by We Came As Romans. I got the chance to meet them and show them my tattoo the next summer and I told them my story, and we all hugged it out and exchanged words of encouragement. To top it all off, some of my best friends and I all have friendships built off of our love for music, and they are some of the best friends I think I'll ever have.

Lastly, come up with a list of daily affirmations. Here is my list:

1.) "I am (insert name here), and I am an awesome, amazing, and caring individual. I know that my mistakes do not define who I am, and I'm proud of everything I've overcome up to now.

2.) "I am perfectly and wonderfully made. God put me on this earth for a reason, and I'm going to live up to that reason."

3.) "I am powerful. I can do anything."

4.) "I will get through today, and I will make it a day."

And my favorite...

5.) "I love me, and I am loved."

Make it a good day! Please don't ever forget that you are important.