How to Be More Aware of the Environment in Everyday Life

Having a green mindset takes daily effort
139

A green lifestyle is more than making one change and giving yourself a pat on the back. Having a green mindset takes daily effort. There are so many little choices you make in your life that can foster sustainability. Here are a few ways to keep the environment a priority in your daily routine.

1. Water Consumption

Think of how much water covers the earth. Only 2% of water on earth is drinkable and 1% is accessible, making water a vital piece to sustainable living. Conserving water is a great way to help the environment, and there are many ways you can do so.

One thing you can do to cut your water consumption is turning off the water when you brush your teeth or shampoo your hair in the shower. If you’re not directly using the water, shut it off until you need to rinse any soap. You can even opt for a low-flow showerhead to cut your daily shower routine’s water usage.

Another way to conserve water is by making sure the pipes in your home are leak-free. A daily drip will add up to gallons over time. Ensuring your home isn’t dripping water will save you money and help the environment at the same time.

2. Food Mileage

Did you know produce and other food you bring into your home affect the environment through travel? It’s called a carbon footprint. The food you eat had to come from somewhere. If it’s not local, it was shipped, which takes gas and emits carbon dioxide into the air with every mile.

You can reduce your food mileage by shopping locally. Locally-sourced produce has less food mileage and leaves less of a carbon footprint than imported produce. Not to mention that local farmers may produce more organic food because it doesn’t have to be preserved for travel.

3. Energy Consumption

Your home is an energy guzzler. Heating your home in the winter and cooling it in the summer are a high-energy cost on your wallet and the environment. Lights in your home, as well as your appliances consume energy because they require electric to run.

You can reduce your energy consumption with apps that allow you to control the energy usage in your home. Not only will this cut your energy bill, it will reduce the carbon footprint your home leaves in energy consumption.

Another simple way to cut these costs is by turning a ceiling fan on. In the winter, it will help circulate the warm air so you can turn your heat down a few notches. In the summer, it will help circulate the cool air so you don’t have to turn the AC up as high. Although a fan still requires electricity, it doesn’t consume as much energy as heating and cooling your home.

4. Recycling

People who don’t recycle are damaging the environment. Recyclable items often end up in landfills, animal habitats and even in the ocean, harming marine animals and the ecosystem. By practicing recycling in your home, you can make sure those items don’t end up in places they don’t belong, such as the environment.

When you recycle, it’s important to understand what you can and can’t recycle. Always remember to rinse out any plastics before you recycle them.

5. Second-Hand Items

Hey environmental Macklemore, you should go thrift-shopping. Second-hand items are great for the environment and look nice in your home, too. Instead of throwing an item in the trash where it will eventually be put into a landfill, you’re keeping an item in use. Less waste in landfills protects the environment from items that take years to breakdown.

The positive factor about second-hand items is they’re cheaper. You’ll save yourself money. There are so many second-hand items worth buying. Furniture is a big one because you can always refurbish it so it’s customized to your home.

Second-hand clothes don’t come with the big brand price tags. You can even purchase refurbished electronics at a fraction of the cost but still have the same quality as new electronics.

6. Chemical-Free

Going chemical-free in your home will reduce your impact on the environment. The cleaners in your bathroom will get into the water system, which eventually puts pollutants in the water supply in your area. As it goes down the drain, those chemicals mix in with the water.

Cleaning your home with non-toxic and chemical free cleaners is a great way to change your everyday life while putting the environment first. You can find homemade cleaners that won’t harm your home.

Making small changes in your daily life will have a big impact on the environment. You can make your daily life a sustainable one. Keep the environment and your life happy at the same time.