11 Tips To Surviving College In Chicago, Illinois Or Any City

The city is fun until you almost die

37
University of Illinois at Chicago

As a new student attending the University of Illinois at Chicago, I felt that I needed to think of how to survive in the city. The city I come from is practically a neighborhood compared to Chicago. Chicago is a really fun place with a plethora of things to do yet it's so easy to screw up and wind up in danger because it is the city. So here are a few ways to make most of your time while being safe in the city, whether it be Chicago or some other metropolis.

1. Set a curfew for yourself

I know you're probably thinking "WTH, I'm an adult now. I don't need a curfew!" Okay, you might say that but you're at your own discretion. You're in the city, where things can go array the night. So try not to leave or be off campus by a certain time. Don't get murked!

2. Be Careful Clubbing or Partying

Drinking or not drinking, plan out the schedule carefully. Nominate someone to lead the group. One sober person is better than none. And if you all are sober, just don't get lost. Because the city is not somewhere you want to get lost. Also know your way via public transportation. Get the public transportation apps your city provides or look up directions in the map app on your phone. If you have been drinking, get an Uber or Lyft if you haven't nominated a designated driver or if no one drives. Discount codes are all over Twitter.

3. Go Places in Groups

Think about it: the bigger the group, the safer you are. You just have to watch out for other people. The more the merrier!

4. Eyes and Ears OPEN

Don't look down and be aware of your surroundings. Don't look vulnerable and don't dress like or make it seem too obvious that you're a tourist. Blend into the crowd and don't take so many pictures walking. That's a pretty nice iPhone you got there. It'd be a shame if someone stole it. Music is also nice to walk to but try and have only one earphone in, you have to hear for cars or any other things to keep yourself safe.

5. Pat Yourself Down Every Few Minutes.

Make sure you have everything by making a mental checklist. Phone, charger, wallet, keys, EV-ER-Y-THING. Big cities are known for notorious pickpockets (people who sneakily steal from you when you're not paying attention). So feel yourself out and make sure you're set.

6. Don't get lost

Big cities are hella expensive (like $13.10 for movie tickets expensive). So take advantage of the meal plan you were forced to participate in and make a budget for snacks, clothes, and miscellaneous activities.

8. Explore the Area

Of course don't get lost and do your research. Avoid the "sketchy areas" and definitely avoid alleys. You never know what's lurking around in them and it's probably best you not investigate what or who could be there. But when you explore, you might just find your new favorite chill spot.

9. Beware of the Scammers.

Because who doesn't love Target?

11. Be Nice, No Fighting

In my experience, in Chicago at least, the people are super friendly. So it doesn't hurt to be nice all around and help people when you can. Tourist or not. We all got places to go and things to do, so let's make all our lives easier and help each other.