Trump Changed Obama's School lunch policy

165

Media in every format is getting more and more ridiculous as the days go by. I can’t look on social media or even watch the news channels without feeling like I am in the middle of a battle of wills between two toddlers.

If you look on the right side of news, they report the news like Trump is God incarnate come to save the US from certain doom...

...The left is just as bad reporting news, like Trump is Satan himself.

One controversial hot button subject in the news this week are the healthier guidelines for school lunch that Michelle Obama instituted during her time as First Lady.

Every first lady has a project that becomes her legacy, Nancy Regan created the “Just Say No to Drugs” campaign. Barbara Bush concentrated on literacy and Laura Bush used her role as the first lady to help improve education.

Michelle Obama wanted to inspire kids to be healthier, from exercise to the foods they eat, healthy living and a decrease in childhood obesity was the legacy that Michelle Obama wanted to leave after her eight years as the first lady.

Helping children be healthier. Who could not agree with that? Unfortunately, the execution of her guidelines made school lunches inedible to most kids.

This week the Trump administration repealed her school lunch program. It was painfully obvious that even though the intentions may have been good, her plan was failing miserably, ending with tons of food in trash cans rather than in kid’s stomachs. If children won't eat the food they are given, then it doesn’t matter how nutritious it may be.

To show the world how horrible Obama’s guidelines made school lunches, kids took to social media with the hashtag #thanksmichelleobama. Below are just a few of the thousands of examples of how unappetizing school lunches have become.

“This announcement is the result of years of feedback from students, schools, and food service experts about the challenges they are facing in meeting the final regulations for school meals. If kids aren't eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren't getting any nutrition – thus undermining the intent of the program.”

The repeal of the controversial school lunch program was enough to get the Obama’s out of retirement to comment.

Michelle Obama took to the internet saying “What does this say about a person who doesn’t care what junk goes in your children’s mouth?”

President Obama said, “That to me is one of the most ridiculous things we talk about in this movement, that the kids aren’t happy. I’m good if kids are mad at me.”

I may not agree with the first lady politically but I do feel bad that the program she worked so hard on is no more. The former First Lady’s legacies aside, I am glad for school children. So many children's only food is the food they receive from their time in school. Helping them have more appetizing choices they will actually eat is a good thing. Like Secretary Purdue said, it doesn't matter how nutricious the meals are if they are just ending up in the trash cans.