Can The Senate Vote To Remove Trump From Office
Currently

These Senators Might Break With Party-Line Votes On Trump's Impeachment Trial

The Senate trial for the removal of President Trump could start as early as next month, and people are already speculating who will charge the president.

206

The senators have been broken up into three categories for each party. The categories include possible, likely, and definitely.

Could possibly vote for impeachment: Republicans

The Republicans' chances of voting for the impeachment of Donald Trump are very slim, however, there are some senators who have not been fond of the president and have broken with him on key issues before. The five who could possibly vote for Trump's removal are:

– Sen. Susan Collins of Maine

– Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado

– Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska

– Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah

– Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska

Three of the five senators in that list are up for reelection in 2020.

Sasse is running a deep red state, and has broken with the president several times, but as his election has gotten closer, he has become a lot quieter on his criticism of the president.

Collins, the moderate from Maine, is looking to win her fifth term as a senator. She has a strong challenger, if they win, in Sara Gideon, the Maine speaker of the house. She needs Republican voters to win reelection, but Maine is a swing state, so she needs to be very careful with her decision.

Gardner is in the once-swing-now-blue state of Colorado. Gardner has voted in line with the president almost 90% of the time. As his reelection campaign nears, voters are going to pay attention to the decision he makes. As Colorado is trending away from his party, he has to make a tough choice that may decide his fate.

Could possibly vote against impeachment: Democrats

The Democrats' in the Senate have almost all concluded their decision in how they will vote for the impeachment of the President. However, there are three Democrats who sit right in the middle in terms of ideology. They are:

– Sen. Doug Jones of Alabama

– Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia

– Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona

Doug Jones is the only senator in this list up for reelection. Jones' come-from-behind win in a deep-red state like Alabama shocked the political world in 2017. He was up against a very unpopular Republican, but he still won his seat fair and square. Alabama voters are of course, much more conservative than many other states, so Jones, if he wants to win again, has to appease to his voters. He doesn't HAVE to, but if he wants to win next year, he might just have to vote no on impeachment.

Sinema and Manchin aren't up for reelection and have no problem bucking their own party. Sinema comes from Arizona, a slightly red state and Manchin from West Virginia, one of the reddest. Both aren't up for reelection until 2024 when impeachment will be in the rear-view mirror.

Likely to vote against impeachment: Republicans

These four Senators are up for reelection in 2020, and their decisions will be closely watched. All four tend to vote in line with the president almost all the time, but unless something drastic happens, it's likely they won't for the impeachment of Donald Trump. They are:

– Sen. John Cornyn of Texas

– Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa

– Sen. Martha McSally of Arizona

– Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina

Ernst and Tillis are up for reelection in two battleground states. Although Trump won them by big margins in 2016, the states have been carefully watching the choices that they make. Ernst is the first woman to serve in the Senate from Iowa and was elected, as was Tillis, in the Republican wave of 2014.

McSally lost the election in 2018 and was appointed to Senator John McCain's seat later that year. McSally has cozied up to Trump since being in the Senate and likely faces a tough battle next year against Mark Kelly, the astronaut, and husband of Gabby Giffords. McSally's choice might tick the needle for, or against her in next year's race.

Cornyn is running in deep-red Texas, however, the state is trending away from the GOP. After last year's nail biter senate race, Democrats are hoping that they can finally win a Senate seat in the Lone Star state. The race is in Cornyn's favor, but his vote might make a difference.

Likely/Will vote for impeachment: Democrats

There are 44 Democratic senators who will almost certainly vote for the impeachment of Donald Trump. Several of them are running for president, and two of them are independents that caucus with the Democrats, so they're included. Sens. Bennet, Booker, Klobuchar, Sanders, and Warren are all running for president and may use this as a talking point for their campaigns.

Will not vote for impeachment: Republicans

There are 44 Republican senators that basically will not vote for the impeachment of Donald Trump. Most of them come from very red, or likely red states like Tennessee or South Dakota. Although there are several who have flat out said they won't vote for impeachment, there are senators like Pat Toomey and Rob Portman who represent two swing states, Pennsylvania and Ohio. They are almost certain not to vote for impeachment, but they may be looking at polls for their future election bids.

As a reminder, in order to remove the president from office, you need 67 votes in the Senate. If you do the math, that number is in Trump's favor right now, but things may change.