Despite Historic Diversity, Democrats Settle On Old, White Men
Currently

6 Women And 7 People Of Color Ran, And Democrats Settled On Two White Men Pushing 80

It was a diverse group of candidates that were pushing the envelope on major issues Americans are facing.

115927

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is dropping out of the presidential race.

After news broke before Super Tuesday that Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar dropped out of the race to endorse Joe Biden, and when Bloomberg dropped out after Super Tuesday, many were wondering if and when Warren would follow suit.

At one point, this Democratic race featured six women and seven people of color. It was a diverse group of candidates that pushed the envelope on major issues Americans are facing. But as the debates and primaries pushed forward, the diversity slowly evaporated. Despite the candidate pool being more diverse than ever before, the last remaining candidates were four white men and two white women. And, now, the two leading candidates vying for the nomination are two old white men in Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.

Even though Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008 and Clinton won the nomination in 2016, the featured candidates through this cycle of debates and primaries were more often than not white men, whether that was Buttigieg, Biden, or Sanders. Sen. Warren broke that mold by forging a campaign that held a lot of support throughout the country and saw her as one of the top three candidates.

Warren dropping out could prove to give a huge bump to Biden or Sanders, depending on who she endorses and where her voter base leans. But it doesn't lessen the image that the Democratic party will be nominating one of two old white men to be their candidate to try and defeat and dethrone Donald Trump — and not one of the many women or people of color who had run at one point.