Joining A Sorority Has Made Me Into A Better Leader

Being a leader within my sorority has taught me valuable lessons that I wouldn't have learned elsewhere.

573
Hayley Eggimann

When I came to college I saw Greek life broadcasted everywhere I went, whether it be flyers at booths for formal recruitment, sorority letters plastered on the pavement in chalk or on every inch of social media. Growing up I didn’t have a ton of girlfriends and then as I got older my group of friends became small, so I didn’t believe that a sorority would be a good fit for me. But I was enticed by the idea of lifelong friends and strong bonds of sisterhood. As an overwhelmed freshman, I wasn’t sure if I would be ready for the time commitment of Greek life along with my class schedule.

Despite that, I still considered going through formal recruitment and signed up for it my sophomore year. I thought that it would be better to try it and see if I enjoyed it, instead of always wondering what it would be like. Plus, I knew that if I decided that I wasn’t interested anymore that I would be able to drop.

After going through recruitment and joining a sorority I still wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. I tended to keep to myself and only stayed with my little group of friends.

Over time, I started to branch out and I realized that I found the most empowering and caring women, and they are what I needed in my life.

I decided to get more involved in my sorority by taking on a leadership role and through that experience, I interacted with even more of the brilliant women in my chapter. I was very excited about connecting with women in my chapter, but I wanted to branch out even further in the Greek community.

I applied for an even larger leadership position and now I have the opportunity to make a huge difference in my chapter and with other chapters on campus too. I have always wanted to make a change for the better and now I am able to do that, just from getting involved in my sorority and taking on leadership roles.

Although I was hesitant about joining a sorority at first, I quickly realized that I had the chance to learn about becoming a better leader from having my own leadership roles and from my sister’s leadership experiences as well. From the roles that I have taken on, I have learned valuable lessons about time management, work ethic, and communication.

But the most important lesson I learned is to be understanding of others and what they are going through. By joining my sorority, I have been able to grow as a leader and a person and I am grateful for the opportunities to do so.