Instagram Gave Me The Creative Outlet I Craved

You may be thinking, to what extent was I willing to capture a good picture? Well, let me tell you.

293
Ashton Sukenic

When Instagram came out in 2010, no one truly understood the purpose of the app. I mean, who in their right mind would try and compete against Facebook? However, I began to quickly realize that Instagram was the new happening. No ads, status updates, or no "Share this picture or your dog will die within 24 hours" type deal? Um, hello! Sign me up! OK, and let's face it ... all of us can relate to the first Instagram picture we posted ...

Yes, this was actually my first Instagram photo ... yikes! But of course, as time went on, I quickly began to realize that Instagram could be the answer to what I needed most, a way to be able to express myself creatively. I spent most of my middle school years crafting music videos in my attempts to be famous. Anyway, as others began to improve their Instagram profiles, I decided I needed to step up my game. In high school, my parents gifted me with the one tool every professional Instagrammer needs, a digital camera. Peace out iPhone! My Instagram was about to hit the popular page!

As soon as I learned how work my DSLR, I recruited my best friend to be my partner-in-crime, as well as my creative consultant to step up our Insta game. You may be thinking, to what extent was I willing to capture a good picture? Well, let me tell you ... From sneaking in to the McCormick- Stillman Railroad Park in Scottsdale, to setting off smoke bombs in street tunnels -- we did it all.

The moment break arrived, I hurried home to share my knowledge, and begin the adventures again. By this point, my partner-in-crime acquired his own digital camera so now we had double the tools to get our profiles looking good. We now found ourselves on rooftops and alleyways in attempts to capture the perfect moment.

However, when capturing moments like these, we quickly began to realize that it was no longer about the Instagram, but being able to express ourselves freely, and share the passion we both craved. The hours we spent taking photos created memories to never be forgotten. So thank you Instagram, I owe it all to you.