I Walked Around NYC Without A Bra

I Walked Around NYC Without A Bra

Let's just say this day didn't turn out as planned.

1906
I Walked Around NYC Without A Bra

New York City, a place that truly has it all. From scents that will spark memories you tried to forget, to the trendiest $20 cup of coffee that must be made with 24k gold, NYC you excite me like no other!

Over this past summer, I took a two-week vacay to The Big Apple to visit some gal pals, and not only did I fall for this place, I fell hard. After hours spent each day exploring Manhattan while my friends were at their internships, I gained a sense of independence and freedom like never before.

In light of this liberation, I decided to push the boundaries in other aspects as well, like my wardrobe. New York is one of, if not the most, fashionable places on Earth. So, in the midst of the summer heat and humidity that made even my eyebrows frizz up, I decided there was no better time to try out the ever-so-trending “free the nipple” look. I mean, what woman wouldn’t wanna go braless any time they could?

Now I don’t want you to think I was waltzing down the streets topless, that’s too advanced for me. Instead, I opted for a red tank top (paired with red dangly earrings cuz I mean I couldn’t NOT look trendy af). I looked in the mirror, felt like a boss, and I was ready to take on the world. Or so I thought…

Within the time it took me to walk just 2 blocks I had already lost count of the number of men whose gaze went straight to my chest. Now, I have a weird feeling many of you are thinking… “You knew you weren’t wearing a bra, you’re asking for guys to look at you!!” Oh, so because I don’t want to wear two cups with a wire underneath that locks my boobs in place all day means that I want boys to objectify me… got it, thank you for clearing that up!

To say I was uncomfortable is an understatement. Watching a man’s eyes scan me up and down, paired with the couple of cat-calls I received left me vulnerable, on-edge, self-conscious, and pretty much feeling like a walking piece of meat. Honestly, even women were giving me looks as if I was a daylight prostitute.

Luckily, a vintage store caught my eye so I booked it across the street, purchased a Hard Rock Café t-shirt (that is undoubtedly my favorite shirt up-to-date), and immediately threw it over my tank. Sweet, sweet relief; the Empire State Building had reclaimed its position as the number one tourist attraction site in NYC.

However, I felt defeated. I had embarked on what was supposed to be a self-empowering experiment, only to let society win. Well, society, you will not win again! I will wear whatever I want whenever I want as long as it makes me feel good. Dress to impress? Ew. I won’t dress to “impress” anyone except myself, sorry 'bout it. You do you ladies!