How My Dogs Bring Happiness Into My Life

I will have a happy greeting awaiting me when I come home.

226
Mackenzie Witter

I don’t think I ever truly appreciated my dogs until my first visit home from college. When I came back to my house after what seemed like a lifetime away I was first greeted by my barking dogs. They were wiggling their bodies and wagging their tails fervently as I attempted to get my bags in the door. They adorned me with gifts of shoes that had been left out and dog toys that had been hidden in secret places. Until I saw their enthusiasm and how much they cared for me I had not realized how much I loved my dogs.

I have two dogs. Marigold is a Mini Golden Doodle who is getting up there in years.

Toby is a small mutt that has quite a few quirks.

Ever since I have been home for the summer I have been spending a lot more time with my dogs. Mainly cuddling with them because Toby eats wet dog food which I refuse to feed him because it sickens me. Dog chores aren’t really my favorite.

I’ve noticed that since I have been paying more attention to them, they have been doing the same to me. They follow me around the house. They randomly show up where I am and sit down next to me and this just shows me the great nature of dogs!

Dogs will put into your relationship what you put into the relationship. If you feed them they will follow you around for food. If you pet them they will mercilessly beg for attention from you.

Now we didn’t train our dogs to lay on my bed, they just did that. Some people may never do that and I can understand, but I love waking up to my little dog curled up to my legs in the morning. Oh, and I didn’t even mention the heavy breathing and snoring that makes them seem like babies.

Dogs are just great company! When my mom had an injury that put her out of work for over a year. Toby did nothing but sit on her lap and comfort her. They now have an inseparable bond that I am extremely jealous of!

The two dogs also have a great bond with each other. At times, they play together. Chasing each other, stealing dog toys from one another, whatever it may be they entertain each other. They also know when to leave each other alone. I strive to have a relationship like that… minus the dog toys.

Overall my dogs are bringing me a great amount of happiness that I had overlooked before. They make me laugh and I miss them when I’m away at college. I admit that I do ask my parents how the dogs are doing on phone calls. Although I dread leaving them again in the Fall I know that I will have a happy greeting awaiting me when I come home.