How I Define My Individuality In A Uniformed World

Individuality can rock your socks off.

63
questionatic / Flickr

Whether they're covered in polka dots, stripes, dogs, American flags, tacos, or Santa, wearing crazy socks are a gateway to one's personality. In a world where conformity often reigns supreme, it takes a bold individual to throw on a pair of arbitrary socks.

As a teen, many attempt — including myself at times — to remain camouflaged and stick to the status quo. Although conforming to the social standard is a path to the masses, I try to showcase my individuality as much as possible.

Attending a private school, it is very difficult to stand out in a uniformed world. Everyone around you is wearing the same basic polo shirt and skirt that you wear every day. As an attempt to express my uniqueness, my outlet to the world is through socks.

Yes, socks. I know this may sound silly, but socks can really impact your appearance. I love to wear unorthodox socks and truly stand out. My favorite pair of socks is definitely my vibrant yellow socks with Rosie the Riveter's face plastered all over the sock. As a history junkie, this pair of socks is a great representation of a motivational attitude while sticking having fun.

The revolutionary sock trend has been in full swing as people marvel at the idea of wearing creative socks. What you wear says a lot about your personality, and crazy socks help emanate a more vivacious, intriguing connotation. Research shows that colorful or character socks show playfulness and are a great icebreaker into a conversation. Our clothing is the first impression that someone will have and often dictate the way people view and treat us. By wearing funky socks, you can bring a unique edge to one's perception of you.

Besides how people view you, more importantly, what we wear also impacts the way we feel about ourselves. Crazy socks are a way for people to break out of their shells and can give you a sense of confidence to help you get through the way.

Crazy socks are an outlet into my personality. While I have to wear a uniform every day, my unique socks allow me to showcase my individuality. I love the feeling of individuality that I get when people ask me about my odd socks. Everyone has a specific niche or style, and mine is interesting socks.