How I Dealt With Homesickness And Adjustment At The Start Of College

It can be hard to find a group of people in college, and in the beginning it's scary, but with time you will figure it all out!

157
Haley Love

Freshman year of college is a tricky time for everyone. From feeling homesick to figuring out where your classes are, you often feel out of place and awkward. Although it takes a varying amount of time for everyone to feel comfortable in college, the best remedy for social awkwardness and huge change is finding true, amazing friends.

I was lucky enough to have these friends handpicked and placed in my flat.

Personally, the start of college was a really difficult time for me. I extremely homesick, confused, and felt like I didn't belong. I think more than anything you miss deep human connections at the start of college. I had an amazing group of best friends in high school and an overly supportive family, and leaving all that behind was painful.

The first semester, I still talked to my family and my best friend, Sydni, religiously, but on a day to day basis, I felt so alone. Then, my roommates and I made magic happen.

For a little background information, I live in a suite-style dorm similar to an apartment. Inside, there are four bedrooms with two girls in each room, meaning I have eight roommates! I was nervous about this before I came to school. I mean who wouldn't be?! Eight girls living in one suite is sure to be living hell, right? But, I was so wrong!

My suitemates soon became my safe people on campus. After a long day at class, I was excited to meet them for dinner. When the weekend came, I felt so comforted by the fact that I had a group of people to hang out with. As the weeks went on, we became inseparable.

Most of my favorite memories from freshman year are with my suitemates. I never expected to form a bond so quickly with so many people. They are the first people I text when I trip walking to class or see a cute boy in the dining hall.

Through all the ups and downs of my first year in college, they were always there. I love Elon for so many reasons, but having them has been one of the most vital parts of my college experience. Nothing compares to finding such true friendships so early in my college years.

The purpose of this article isn't only to tell you how much I love my roommates, but more so to give you a sense of reassurance. As someone who had a really hard time feeling comfortable in college, I want to send you a message within this article: there will come a time where the discomfort and awkwardness fades, and from there, you will make amazing lifelong friendships. I know how it feels to be scared and homesick, and it is nothing to be ashamed of! Just like me, you will find your group of people, even if they don't happen to live in your dorm.

College starts out scary and big, but eventually, it will feel like your second home. Embrace the experience, surround yourself with people who truly care about you, and more than anything, have fun.