How Dance Changed My Life

Dance Made Me The Person I Am Today And Here Is Why

How dancing changed my perception of music, movement and myself.

54

I used to dread the idea of exercising. I shuddered at the idea of fighting for breath while drenched in sweat only to wake up as stiff as a board. This all changed when I started dancing. Not only did it help me maintain a healthy, physical status but It benefited me mentally as well. I learned how to fall in love with music, movement and most importantly myself while getting my daily workout.

Dance helps you develop a completely new relationship with music. When I first began dancing, I was introduced to a wide variety of music.I found appreciation for the unique rhythm that is found in every song.There is something so profound about closing your eyes, loosening your body and letting the music control you as you dance around the room. I never became aware of this until I started feeling the music instead of listening to it. Because of dance, I was able to connect with music in a way I never thought possible while staying active.

An amazing aspect of dance is that all of your emotions can be expressed through movement. Whenever I'm stressed, angry, sad, happy or anything else dancing in a likewise manner is always the best solution. In the past I would completely shut down and ignore what I was feeling but it just wasn't the same as dancing it all out of me. The movement makes me feel more in touch with my emotions because I become aware of how I feel and i'm embracing it instead of shutting it out.

The whole point of exercising is so that you stay healthy and love yourself. That is why dancing is so incredible. It helped me discover who I am and why it i so great to be me. I was able to find my own style and express it in my own way. No one dances the same way as me and I don't dance the same way as anyone else. If one day I was feeling sexy, I could put on an upbeat song and wind around the room. If one day I'm feeling heartbroken, I could play something slow and pour my heart out through movement. I was able to find confidence in my body and my skills simply by putting on music and dancing my emotions.

Dance changed my life in so many ways and made staying active very simple. I recommend it as a form of exercise for anyone who is down for trying something new and put themselves out there.