How To Choose A School That's Right For You

Looking at schools is the most stressful event, but it doesn't have to be.

11
Berkshire Community College

Going to college can be stressful, of course, and picking a major can totally mess with your brain. When deciding on a college, there are some factors to put into play.

On my first official tour at Fairfield, the tour guide said, “You will know in your gut if the school is right for you.” I truly felt that here. The first time that I was ever on campus, my mom took me to Bellarmine Hall and I was around 10-years-old. I knew then that Fairfield was where I wanted to start my independent life. I never really knew how I felt until that tour day. I kept my tour guide's words close and I never stopped thinking about this school. Getting the letter of acceptance from my number one choice — and the only school that I applied to — was a moment that I will never forget. It’s times like that one that I am beyond grateful to be here.

Yes, of course, some families have generations of legacies from a certain college or university, but if that’s not the school that you know you belong at, it won’t hurt to look elsewhere. It’s your life and you control it; your parents should be supportive of whatever you choose to do when it comes to picking a school.

It's important to remember that high school grades matter. Why take chances at an Ivy League school if you’re not at that level yet? Surely you can try, but the professors and workload won’t be easy if you’re not used to contributing so much time and effort into completing assignments. For me, I was not really the best student in high school. I would rather go out with my friends instead of finishing a paper, but at Fairfield, there is great support staff and amazing services that helped me with time management. I’m not saying that everyone will have the same problem as me, but when looking for a school, find out if they offer the same things because I promise that it’s worth it.

Don’t pick a school that your high school friends are going to. One or two familiar faces at your school is fine, but it’s time to drift away from the people that you’ve grown up with and try to make some new friends. That was my mentality because during breaks or other times when everyone is home, it makes seeing your friends so much better.

Social well-being is a must for mental well-being, but the actual schooling aspect is the main part of choosing a college. The first step is what you want to major in even if it changes. Many students that go into college switch majors within the first year and that’s totally fine. Not all colleges will offer the major that you’re most interested in. For instance, Fairfield offers an elite nursing program and biology program, but as for any doctorate, schooling will have to continue after graduation.

No matter what you choose to do, remember that you will feel it the moment you step onto the campus of your dream school and you will know that you belong there.