How Can An Acting Class Prepare You For Medical School?

Acting is the secret to the "Art of Doctoring"!

2222
news.uci.edu

When you enter college with the dreams of one day becoming a doctor, there are so many classes that you have to take. You're told to take Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry and every other science class on earth. Then you're told to take your required Physics class, that one random English class, and a Psychology class to fill some schedule gaps. At the end of your college career, you may be prepared for medical school from an academic standpoint, but you've failed to learn the skills that will allow you to master what I like to call "the art of doctoring."

Is there any class that will help you learn the "art of doctoring"? Yes, there is!

Acting classes!

An extremely important aspect of being a doctor that several students tend to forget about is the art of connecting with your patients. Doctors have to be effective communicators in order to get the most out of their patients and make their patients understand what is happening to them. Doctors must be emotionally available for their patients. They must help their patients overcome the vulnerability or embarrassment they might feel exposing intimate parts of themselves and their lives to their doctors.

In my opinion, the best way to learn how to connect to people, how to understand other's perspectives, and how to properly access situations and react accordingly is by learning how to act. You may not be the best actor in the world; As a first-year medical student that minored in theatre, I can assure you that I was far from the label of "Best Actress". Yet, my experiences in acting class and on the stage truly helped me when we started having patient interactions. I was better able to understand others' emotions because I had learned how to, essentially, become other people and tell others' stories.

I believe that every student studying something science or mathematics based such as Biology, Computer Science, or Engineering will benefit from finding some time to take an acting class. You will improve your communication skills, relieve some stress, learn new skills, and make new friends.

I understand that the 3, 4, 5 or more years spent in college can actually go by very quickly making us feel like we don't have time. I know that there are so many other classes to take and requirements we must fill, but just one acting class can be such an amazing experience. If you still have the chance to, I suggest trying out an acting class or minoring in theatre, like I did. It's actually quite interesting to see how a set of skills seemingly unrelated to your "major" or "career plans" can make you a better student and professional in the future.

And if nothing like that happens for you, at least you experienced something new!