Delta Zeta Made Me A Better Person

Delta Zeta Made Me A Better Person

To the people helping me be a greater version of myself.

255
Delta Zeta Made Me A Better Person
Brianna Lahoud

Looking back to the summer going into my sophomore year of college, I clearly remember signing up for recruitment as soon as I could. I wasn't very sure about a lot of things when it came to college, but this I was sure of: I wanted to be in a sorority. Even though movies and tv shows are not a good representation of the sisterhood, I had an early interest in what little I knew about sororities. Friends have always been such an important part of my life, and I knew that I couldn’t have all of mine in one place, so I would have to branch out and meet new people.

The thought scared me, and I wondered if I would even be able to make friends. Little did I know, I would get the pleasure of meeting some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

From the moment I joined my chapter, I knew that life would be different in such a good way. I was introduced to so many women that may not have all liked the exact same things as me, but who had the same core values as I did. These values that make us who we are, and it was an amazing feeling to meet so many women similar to me. Behind all the excitement, there was also a fear that I wouldn’t fit in like I hoped I would. I feared being too shy to branch out, but I never felt as if I was alone. There was always someone I could talk to who had either felt that same way or was feeling that way now.

One of the biggest blessings that came with my sorority was my big. We didn’t get our bigs right off of the bat, but as I got to know her more, I realized just how similar we were. The week of big little reveal was so stressful. I knew that any one of the girls who were becoming bigs would rock, but I couldn’t seem to figure out if my big was who I thought it was going to be.

Low and behold, after a pretty convincing “I’m sorry, I’m not your big but we can still be friends” speech, my big was who I thought it was going to be. Not only has she guided me in my chapter and opened up the door to so many opportunities and friendships, she is one of the most amazing people I know and I am eternally grateful for her.

Throughout my new member period, I was able to meet so many people that I would see out on campus and talk to if I was alone. I had an endless number of girls to go get food with me or go shopping with me, and a whole new group of sisters to be there for me at any given time. I met women who helped connect me with other girls in the chapter, who educated me on positions for our chapter, who dedicated their time to academics and service in an inspiring way, and who pushed me to do the same. I met my roommate for next year the first day, and she is the absolute best. The girls I talked to through all rounds of recruitment made me feel like I belonged and that they would always have my back, and they still do.

I was given the opportunity to run for a position, something I probably would not have done in the past, but I ran because they believed in me. In college, where it’s easy to feel like just another student, they helped to show me that I am bigger than myself, and that I am capable of anything I set my sights on.

I cannot begin thank them enough.

To all my sorority sisters, even if we don’t talk every single day, you all mean the world to me and I am a better version of myself with you all in my life: I love you all.