What It's Like To Be Homeless
Lifestyles

Being Homeless Put A New Perspective On My Young Life

I've only been homeless for two weeks, and it hasn't been easy.

242

I've always lived a fairly privileged life. I wasn't rolling in money, but I never went hungry, and I always had a roof over my head. I never took the time to think about what it meant to be homeless because I had never known anyone in that sort of situation. It wasn't that I didn't care about homeless people. It's just very difficult to really understand just how a situation feels until you've submerged in it yourself. That applies to a lot of scenarios, but I'm going to talk specifically about being homeless.

Before I get into it, I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the people who have taken me in over the past week. They didn't have to let me into their homes, and if they hadn't taken me in, I would be sleeping in my car in an overflow parking lot right now. I owe them so much, and I don't think I'll ever feel like I've really fully repaid them.

As a result of situations that are out of my control, I am homeless. Temporarily homeless, but homeless nonetheless.

To be entirely honest, I feel like it's almost incorrect to call myself homeless. When all is said and done, and if nothing falls through, I'll only have been without a home for a total of two weeks. Three weeks if you count the week I spent in a hotel prior to this. In the grand scheme of life, three weeks is nothing, but when you're up close and personal with that time, it feels enormous.

Everything is uncomfortable. I've had to come to terms with that. I hate having a messy car, but when I had to move out of the hotel, everything I had with me went into the backseat of my car. It's a disaster. I don't know where anything is.

All the food I have is in my car's trunk. I have to be careful what I keep there in terms of food because of the heat. I can't store any dairy or things in plastic containers in my car, because they would be unsafe to eat after sitting in the sun all day while I'm in classes.

I don't really use my laptop to take notes for classes that often, but I always have to carry my laptop with me. Because if I leave it in my car, there's a good chance the heat is going to mess with it or someone will steal it.

I haven't been able to relax in three weeks. Not knowing where I'm going to sleep at night takes a toll, and it's really difficult to get my homework done for classes when I'm wired like this.

I'm embarrassed to take my car anywhere (and that includes on campus) because I feel like whenever someone walks by my car, they're judging me for the mess inside.

I've had to start taking vitamin supplements again because my mom is worried I'm not getting the nutrition I need. Which, honestly, is a very valid concern for her to have right now.

I can't even imagine how my mom feels right now. She's two hours away, so there's not really a lot she can do to help me.

I'm trying to have my apartment set up by next week, but the combination of the stress of living in my car and getting everything figured out for the landlords is threatening to rip me in two. I'm not the only one relying on this apartment, but I feel like those other people are also relying on me. That's an insane amount of pressure to be put under when you're in the situation I am in.

Now don't get me wrong: it could be a lot worse. I could have not found anyone to take me in, I could have not had a car to stay in, I could have lived in a much worse neighborhood, etc. I am very lucky to have people who are looking out for me, and I am very lucky to have money for food and a place to keep my things. I take none of this for granted, and I know that there are people who have situations way worse than mine. Regardless, my pain is valid as is theirs.

I am not going to be homeless for much longer, but I already know that this experience has irreparably changed me. Hopefully for the better.