How Are People STILL Getting Catfished?

How Are People STILL Getting Catfished?

Welcome to the future, where Google is at our fingertips at all hours of the day.
440

I very rarely watch live TV anymore, unless it’s to watch "The Bachelor" on Monday nights or the occasional "Jersey Shore" marathon on MTV. During one of these brief live TV watching seshes, I noticed a commercial promoting the new season of “Catfish”.... Honestly, what? How are people still getting catfished in this day and age?

We live in a world where you can literally order an Uber and have it arrive before an ambulance could. You can tweet at the president of the United States and be blocked by him in a matter of minutes. You can use an app to have your groceries delivered to your doorstep. I mean, technology is at its peak.

I once helped my friend find the name of a boy using only the background of a different Tinder date's profile picture by using the internet and my journalistic research skills. What I’m saying is that it makes absolutely zero sense that people can still get catfished when we have so many types of technology and so much social media information at our fingertips.

Listen, I get how the show was able to make a name for itself back in 2012. Technology was less advanced and people didn’t have the resources or the grit to research their potential partners, but those days are gone.

If someone gives you their number at a bar, in your DM’s, on Tinder/Bumble/Hinge/Grindr/Literally-Any-App, you can literally Google that number and, more than likely, a name will pop up. If that doesn’t work, type it into Facebook, and anyone with their profile linked to their phone number will pop up. Check to see if they have a LinkedIn account. Or better yet, just Google the damn name you’re given if you’re skeptical about the person's true identity.

All in all, this new season of "Catfish" just makes me very suspicious of the people being featured on the show. Either these people just want their 15 minutes of fame or they’ve genuinely never used the internet before.

If you’ve been catfished, please let me know what happened in the comments!