How To Ace An Interview

How To Ace An Interview

From beginning to end, it's all a matter of how you present yourself.

58
How To Ace An Interview

Whether in college or post-college, interviews are an inevitable part of the young adult experience. They are meant to serve as a step in grasping your professional potential. In a way, testing the waters of who you are, where you are, and how you could be more successful through a promotion from the position that you're at now. If you're anything like me, then you're currently on the search for internships and the interview is the final factor in solidifying one. Whatever the case may be, here are some tips that I feel could help you destress and refocus on how to walk in there and nail it:

1. Get plenty of rest, sleeping beauty.

You can't bring your A-game if you didn't get that rest the night before. Make sure to make it a priority.

2. Take that schmaltz off your face.

If your mother wouldn't let you out of the house looking like that, it's probably best to do a double-check in the mirror and put some lipstick on while you're at it. It's nice to be a little gussied up!

3. Dress to impress.

You don't have to look like you just got off the runway, but it's nice to make a good first impression. Style can always be an indispensable tool at your disposal, so don't take it for granted.

4. Think of the interview as a conversation.

If you think of it more as a dialogue back and forth, it won't feel like there's as much pressure on you. At times, the conversation may feel one-sided, but don't let that sidetrack you, as it just means the person is focusing on listening to you.

5. Don't sell yourself short.

You may be the one being judged here, but that doesn't mean you don't have a lot to show off. Make sure your accomplishments and good intentions are heard.

6. Take your time.

It may feel like your time is limited, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't allow yourself ample room to slow down when talking. You want to make sure everything you say is being heard, so take those pauses and deep breaths when you need them.

7. Bring relevant questions to the table.

Not only does it show you're serious about the position, but it's also a way to show the research you've done about the company. Look at you with your suave and sophisticated knowledge. Just make sure to be a little more pertinent with your questions unlike Mr. Tatum (unless you're interviewing for a cheese company – then you're golden).

8. Don't forget to follow up!

Much like sending a follow-up text after a party thanking your friend or calling for a second date, keep those lines of communication intact. Don't be afraid to be assertive when it comes to pursuing something you want.

Go out there and knock'em dead!