Horror Movie: Get Out

Horror Movie: Get Out

The fear is in the fearlessness.
16

Get Out, is an American horror film directed by Jordan Peele. It revolves around a biracial couple, Rose and Chris, who decide to visit Rose's parents in their suburban neighborhood. Chris treats this idea with apprehension as Rose reveals that she has not yet informed her caucasian parents about his race. His trepidation about this issue is warranted since upon arriving at the seemingly amicable neighborhood, strange occurrences begin to unravel its hideous history of targeting young, black men.

What they exactly do to these men, you will have to watch the movie to find out. Released on February 24, Get Out, runs for about an hour-and-a-half and serves to its audiences a different kind of horror film. While frightening in some aspects, Get Out, rather than make its viewers jump out of their seats, forces them to squirm in them as they watch the film. Because the basis of the movie, as many have and will notice, is more than just a discriminating neighborhood.

It's an exaggerated version of what America can become.

Scary is defined as something that can cause fear. Horrifying is defined as something that can shock and even terrorize someone out of their wits. These two words are synonymous to each other, but if asked, the latter perfectly describes what this movie is to its audiences - horrifying.

Scary - fear - is something you can easily overcome. Something horrifying, however, tends to leave an unwelcome impression on your mind. Get Out is horrifying because it does not embody something you can escape and dismiss after leaving the theatre. Instead, it exaggerates an issue we already see on the news and media; people being targeted and victimized because of their race.

Get Out, while rough around the edges, is less about actual fear, but more about fearlessness. It openly confronts the issue about prejudice and even addresses the idea of the white desire to appropriate and even eradicate the idea of their even being a black culture; a not-so-quiet sentiment echoed long before the pre-Civil War era of America. Doubtlessly, this movie will make many uncomfortable, but it will also make the problem better heard. Because that is the issue of today's society, isn't it? People always watch the news, see the discrimination, the prejudice - but don't actually acknowledge the gravity of the situation anymore. Because to them, it's normal to see the brutality.

And that's the sad truth about the world now, people see and react but stay waiting. Waiting, because the change they may want, is not necessarily a change they may want to sacrifice for. So when words fail, Get Out, proposes, will you step up and get into action?