'My Roommate Tried To Kill Me' And 18 Other Horrific Roommate Stories

You can't make these up.

10903
Instagram

Chances are, you're at a point in your life where you are looking for a roommate, have a roommate, or have had a roommate. Sometimes your living arrangements work out extremely well. Other times, not so much. Here are 19 roommate horror stories:

1. The one who tried to kill me

My freshman year roommate and I became absolute best friends before she turned crazy. I thought of her as a sister until she went completely insane. She despised my then boyfriend and often tried to use him against me. One night, she was going on a date with one of our good friends and then back to our room.

I was planning to go to the gym straight after work to give them privacy. She texted me asking me to come back because she didn't like him like that. I told her it was still considered a date and I wasn't going to make it awkward by sitting in the corner. She went off on me. She told me I was never there for her, I was a horrible roommate, she could never depend on me and I was such a bad person. She and I didn't speak and we weren't both in our room again for the next week.

When she decided to talk to me, she ignored anything that had gone wrong and pretended everything was fine. She became extremely possessive and would get genuinely angry when I'd spend time with other people or refuse to go do something with her. When she got into a fight with one of our friends, she took all her pictures of him and light them on fire or burned his face off.

She once "accidentally" left a razor blade in my bed. She basically considered me property and wouldn't know how to handle it if I had my own plans or did something on my own. If only I could find her texts to me for emphasis.

2. The one who didn't know how to clean

My roommate left a gallon of milk to sit in the fridge for the entire semester and refused to throw it away.

3. The one who started stalking me

My roommate started becoming basically my mom. She had to know where I was 24/7 and I felt like I constantly had to explain to her where I was and what I was doing. It became so bad that I would lie to her about where I was going or who I was with or I would wait until she was asleep and sneak out because she'd constantly judge me for the people I hung out with.

4. The one who couldn't take a hint

My roommate was the loudest human being on the planet and frequently kept me up past 12 a.m. with her phone conversations.

5. The one who never left

My roommate junior year was picked by random and a complete nightmare. She never left the room, ever. Not even to go to the caf because she hated it so much so she would make these microwave dinners every day and make the tiny dorm room smell. She would talk in her sleep and to top things off she would insist on doing her homework in the room and not the library so she would have the blinding overhead light on until at least 3 a.m. Even when I had a 6 a.m. practice to get to in the morning. I moved out within a semester.

6. The ones who called the cops

My roommates called the police on each other but they both turned out to be insane.

7. The very descriptive one about the trash

My roommate horror story is about how he never takes out the trash.

8. The one with anger problems

My freshman roommate yelled at me and moved out after Christmas break because I put Christmas lights up on MY side of the room without her! #lameiknow

9. The one who had no concept of appropriateness

My freshman year roommate would twerk and dance in her underwear. She would also yell at her TV show when she was displeased with what the characters did!

10. The two odd ones

I had two roommates who were best friends. They literally went everywhere together and had almost the same schedules. They would sit out in the living room and sing while studying. I mean full out singing at the tops of their lungs songs, specifically Disney songs or religious songs. They would do this all the time, studying, cooking dinner, when they took showers, all the time. Also, they would stay up until about 4 a.m. doing it even when they knew I had an 8 a.m. I don't mind singing and all that but eventually there's got to be a limit. They would also randomly make animal noises at each other and have like full on conversations in animal... it was weird.

11. The horny one

I lived in a dorm where two rooms were connected by a bathroom. We were suitemates. One girl always had her boyfriend visit. 3 p.m. every day they showered for a lonnnnnng time together. Everyday afterwards another one of us would pour bleach on the floor of the shower. They didn't clean up after themselves and they didn't bother to be discreet. They didn't care who was around when they had sex. One day, the door to the hallway was left open when one of my suitemates got tired of all the sex. They never bothered to close the door despite the rest of the hall walking by and making comments. She never apologized for the disrespect towards others.

12. The one who bled all over

OK, so I went to a party with some friends (one of which included my roommate) and she decided to leave early so when I came home with all of my friends about an hour later I found her sitting on the floor of our dorm literally covered in blood. Like her hands up to almost her elbows and a good bit of her face. And so after recovering from my initial shock I was like OK, "So, um, what the heck happened?" And she responds with, "I don't know," which to me was like, "Wtf, how do you not know?"

Then she went on to say that she first noticed it on her hands and then it kept getting worse and she didn't know what to do with it because there was so much blood and that she thought it was really funny and wanted to keep it on her hands. So she started taking Snapchats of it because she thought it was so funny instead of cleaning all the blood up. Miraculously none of it got onto the carpet or anywhere but her. To this day we still don't really know what happened but we think it might have been an insanely violent nose bleed.

13. The one who didn't understand boundaries

I left my dorm to head to class one morning and then about a minute later I realized I forgot something so I went back to my room. When I walk in I find that my roommate is in my closet so of course, I'm like "um what are you doing?" And she's standing there PUTTING ON MY DEODORANT and was like "Oh, sorry, I'm all out of deodorant so I've been using yours." Which means she's been using it for a while and it wasn't just a one-time thing. I was so appalled/late for class that I just said nothing and left.

14. The one who went AWOL

My roommate freshman year and I were BEST FRIENDS. That was it, she was going to be my maid of honor. All of a sudden in January I woke up to a sticky note on my door telling me to find another ride to school, that she was going home for the day. She was gone for TWO WEEKS. When she finally returned I passed her dad on the stairs and he was friendly with me, but when I got to our apartment her and her mom were taking down all our decorations.

When I confronted her about what was happening her mom tried to tell me off, my roommate cut her off and while glaring at me said, "I don't feel at home here anymore so I'm moving to another apartment." That was the last time we talked since she blocked me on all social media. She eventually transferred to the University of South Carolina and rushed a sorority even though she swore she never would. Guess you never really know what you're getting into when you pick roommates out on Facebook! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. The disgusting one

My suitemate and her boyfriend (my other suitemate went home Thursday night until Monday morning) would never buy toilet paper (and they used A LOT) so we hid the toilet paper under our bed in our room. THIS GIRL USED THE PAPER TOWELS AND PUT THEM IN THE BATHROOM TRASHCAN (also, she never took out the trash).

16. The irresponsible one

Freshman year, my best friend and I decided to live together in a dorm, only downside was we had to have to other roommates. One of them turned out to be a blast. The other one, however, was a nightmare. She and her boyfriend would come into the apartment in the middle of the afternoon and have LOUD and OBNOXIOUS sex while we were in the living room, but surprisingly enough, that isn't the worst that she did.

She got two miniature hamsters as pets. One day I opened the door to our pantry and a little tiny rat looking thing ran out. I screamed bloody murder and she came running out of her room. Her hamster had escaped (probably fearing for its life) two weeks prior and she didn't tell any of us! He had gotten into the food we had to keep on the floor and pooped in the pantry.

17. The disrespectful one

My roommate decided to go out to a party on a Thursday night. When she came home around 1 a.m. I was in bed asleep with the lights off. She opens the door and yells, “Oh my gosh, wait, are you sleeping?" And I responded, “Well, it's 1 a.m., so, yes," and she responds “Oh, so we shouldn't come in?" And I responded, “Who's WE?????" And she's like, “Oh, me and Tom!" And I was like absolutely not, so she and Tom left and Tom was never seen again.

18. The one that literally left me speechless

I was supposed to room with this super nice girl, Mary (name changed), that I met on Facebook, but somehow, we got placed in completely different buildings. Luckily my roommates ended up being my two of my best friends, but she was not so lucky. The first 3 days, every time she came back to the room (not kidding, EVERY TIME) there was a different naked dude in her roommate's bed.

She decided it was time to say something, maybe, "At least warn me when you're gonna have guys over," that kinda thing. She confronted her roommate and she said that she was sorry but she didn't really always know in advance when her customers were going to come by. (Her customers??!)

She was prostituting herself in order to pay for drugs. Fast forward a few weeks, her roommate refers to herself and is known as the fifth-floor whore, and frequently does drugs and brings a bunch of people into the room. Long story short, she ended up getting arrested for something drug-related and was kicked out of my school when they found out what had been going on. I think she is in rehab now, I'm not really sure. Mary got a new roommate and lived happily ever after!

19. The best for last... the PSYCHO one

This is from my freshman year of college. The girl was psycho. Enjoy the story!

I met my freshman year roommate at a tour day on campus during my senior year of high school. She seemed nice and like she would be fine to live with. Well HELL, I was wrong! We arrived during move-in day on campus with our cutesy matching comforters ready to start college life, and all was going well. We both went to the club fair together, and I made a beeline for the Student Government booth because I had my eyes set on being part of it, since before I graduated high school.

My roommate came along, too, and later that night decided to apply for the same position as me. I thought it was kinda rude but really no big deal, since I thought she was really interested too. Well, a few days later, she told me that she got an email that she did not get an interview for the position and asked if I had. I hadn't checked my email yet, so I awkwardly checked it as she was staring at me waiting.

Of course, I got an interview. I remember tensing up, not knowing quite how to share the news. I didn't want to be overly excited and make her feel bad, but I also didn't want her to think I didn't care. So I said something like, “Oh, yay, I got an interview, but I'm really sorry that you didn't." I went to the interview and ended up not getting the position. So, no big deal right? Wrong! My roommate had decided that I was now her enemy since I got an interview and she didn't.

And this is actually where the story begins... This girl turned on me from being a great friend to someone who I was actually scared of overnight. She became extremely passive-aggressive and tried to push all my buttons, and I just did my best to get through life and not react.

Here's just some of the craziness I experienced: - She got mad at me for spraying my perfume on in the room, claiming that it made her stomach hurt because it smelled like her ex-best friend (-_- ). She was pissed that I didn't donate to the printer ink fund for her printer that I never used once. To make it even better, she stole one of my plastic canisters and put a big sticky label on it with “PRINTER FUND" in sharpie on it and set it on her shelf like it was a tip jar.

At 9 p.m. one night, my boyfriend and I planned to head to the gym. I needed to get some workout clothes, so we headed over to my room. When I opened the door, I noticed my roommate was in bed (yes already), and the lights were off. I couldn't leave my bf in the hallway due to escort policy, so I told him to come in and sit in my chair under my bed while I grabbed clothes quick. While I'm grabbing clothes, I hear her voice from her bed, “Did you get my text?" I reply, “Uh, no."

Her response was, “I don't feel comfortable with a boy in the room while I'm asleep" Wtf?! My bf was sitting in a chair for less than a minute, being quiet doing nothing, while I grabbed some gym sweats. My response, “Well, OK, we are leaving now." And that's when my bf found out her oddness. I come back to the room the next day to find our roommate agreement from move-in day, 7 months ago, taped on the back of our door with sections underlined and highlighted!!

She blocked me on Facebook. Well, not just me, my mom, too. What did my mom ever do to you?!?