Honor In A Vagina?

Honor In A Vagina?

"Who put my honor in my vagina?" - a good question spoken by Kamla Bhasin.

801
Honor In A Vagina?
Airtel

Feminism is defined as “the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of political, social and economic equality to men." However, like any form of idea or movement, there are extremes, moderates and conservatives equally diverse as the people who represent and follow these ideals. These extreme views tend to overshadow the actual definition of what an idea represents. Too many people misunderstand feminist views for a misandrist movement, a principle focused on the hatred of men, when in actuality, the feminist movement is aiming for women to be treated equally to men. Modern society is slowly starting to apply feminism as equality for all women, but only in small pockets, rather than the global scale that it should be applied.

One of the main problems in this misunderstanding of feminism has aided in the continuation of a “rape culture," a term used to show how victims of sexual assault are usually blamed and that male sexual violence is a supposedly normal occurrence. The majority of rape victims that decide to be out and honest about their situation are judged harshly and quickly blamed for being raped in the first place. Instead of seeing a victim, people see a “flirt” or a “whore” or a “liar” who is only blowing things out of proportion. That is not to say that there is no such thing as a liar in some court situations; however, if the most suspicious criminal is given the treatment of “innocent until proven guilty," then by the aforementioned standards, society should be able to do the same for the victim who is quickly blamed. Quoting Lady Gaga’s words, a person does not really know what being a rape victim is like - “Til It Happens To You." In this case, how does the majority of society know how a rape victim feels? Were they also raped? Or are they speculating purely without present facts?

This whole article was incited by Kamla Bhasin and her words made into a gif: “If I’m raped, people will say that she’s lost her honor. How did I lose my honor? Who put my honor in my vagina?” In nearly every society, a woman raped is suddenly seen as an outcast who should be ashamed for having a traumatic event forced upon her. Kamla Bhasin answers her own questions: “I didn’t place my honor there. If anyone loses their honor when a woman is raped, it’s the rapist. Not the woman who is raped." Any person who has been raped should not be ashamed for the unwanted rape that was committed unto them. Suffering from the after effects of rape, rape victims will keep their silence allowing the rapists to get away with no punitive action. This perpetuates the rape culture that is still in place today. The victims, be they man or woman, of rape are never looked at the same way. Most see these rape victims as damaged or deserving of the circumstances they found themselves in. However, I believe that survivors of rape should not allow one event to dictate their lives into a shunned and unaccepted space. I don’t see rape victims as broken people, and I believe they should be given the support they deserve from not only family and friends, but the community that civilization decided to establish as a safety net for the people. Although I speak strongly for these rape victims, I am only speaking as the outsider living in a patriarchal society for I have never been raped nor do I wish to be. I am a feminist who is proud to be a woman, now able to freely speak her mind and voice to those willing to hear it.