What is home?

7 Reasons My Hometown Is My Only Home

Nothing says home better than driving 5 mph behind a tractor.

36

My hometown is Clinton, NJ. It's a quiet part of New Jersey, deemed the 'secret NJ' by many, in a rare part of the state where there are rolling hills and grass. Unknown to many, I consider it to be one of the few towns that validates the Garden State nickname. Since I moved to Florida and started going to college in North Carolina, I don't get to visit very often. As much as I love my new town and college, this time away has opened my eyes to how much I missed it while I was gone. Here are a few of the reasons as to why my hometown is and always will be my home.

1. The landscape

The rolling hills are a staple in Hunterdon County, but you have to be extra cautious when driving because they can make you nauseous.

2. Vehicles

upload.wikimedia.org

In New Jersey, it's not unusual to be stuck behind a tractor on some small country lane, while it's way more common for an impatient Tesla driver to roar past you in Florida.

3. Houses

upload.wikimedia.org

This one may be obvious, but people have very different decorating tastes in Florida and New Jersey. For example, you might find a completely modern house in Florida with a manatee mailbox, but you will find a small stone farmhouse with a tractor mailbox. I think you can guess how much we love our tractors.

4. Weather

As one might imagine, we get all four seasons in New Jersey, quite extremely. This usually sends people down to Florida to become 'snowbirds' and escape the winter, but I prefer the snow days over the hurricane days.

5. Roads

upload.wikimedia.org

I might see a road sign (pictured above) to symbolize a twisty road in New Jersey, but I also might see an alligator or panther crossing sign in Florida.

6. Types of towns

upload.wikimedia.org

My hometown is a quaint little town comprised of about four main streets where I used to walk around for hours with friends after school. My new town only has strip malls to walk around, lacking the feel of a cohesive community to me.

7. The people

I believe it would be a cliche if I said that it was a perfect place where I waved to everyone with a smile on my face, greeting everyone by name. Instead, I'll say the truth which is that I don't know most of the people who live in my town. But, it was nice to just recognize people from seeing them around town and that's something that I miss about home.

No matter where I live, I think that Clinton, NJ will always have a special place in my heart. To me, cities have nothing on that small town feel.