Your 'Homeschooler' Preconceptions Are Wrong

Why has society developed so many misconceptions towards homeschooling?

191

When someone asks where I went to school and I respond with the "I was homeschooled" phrase, such an answer often incites questions, "homeschooler" jokes, and even eye-rolling: reactions that I just can't seem to understand – why has homeschooling received such negative misconceptions, despite the fact that it is simply a different method of schooling? Different education practices work differently for each child, as each individual learns differently. Thus, I am not writing this to advocate that homeschooling is superior to other means of education. Instead, I am seeking to change the negative stigma towards homeschooling: as a former homeschooler myself, I have been criticized for and questioned about my homeschooling education by peers, strangers, and even close relatives, mostly for the fact that homeschooling is not viewed as "conventional" among most families.

We're not "antisocial" simply because we're homeschooled.

Yes, there are antisocial and awkward homeschoolers. Additionally, there are antisocial and awkward public school kids. One's schooling alone does not define their social skills.

If a child spends eight hours a day in a classroom, really only getting to talk to his or her peers between classes and during recess hours, comes home, and only tends to school work or television for the rest of the day, he/she is getting as much social interaction as a homeschooled child would who only goes out to run errands on a daily basis.

Activities outside of school are what build character: sports, clubs, activities, traveling, and so forth, and access to such activities are not restricted to only public schooled children.

No, we do not feel as though we are missing out on the "normal school experience."

Yes, one may rightfully argue that a lack of being in a public school system results in the lack of a "normal" school experience, but really, what truly defines "normal" when each individual has their own unique life and situation? And if "normal" can be defined, why is it necessary? While a homeschooler may not have a school football team to cheer for or pep rallies, there are sports teams and clubs outside of school to participate in. Additionally, in today's society, the issues facing the public school education system are appalling: drug possession, shootings, fights, inappropriate relationships between males and females, and nicotine addictions beginning in middle school have become accepted. Thus, if these things are a part of the "normal school experience," I am perfectly content with missing out on such experience, thank you.

And yes, homeschoolers do get their education.

As far as education goes, you get what you put into it: if you simply go to school each day but spend your time in class daydreaming and neglect learning outside of the classroom, you will not retain the valuable information taught in class. Just as a homeschooler can choose to abandon their school work, a school-attending child can choose to not engage with what is being taught. The result on both ends? A lack of understanding and proper education.

Furthermore, allow this homeschooler to act as proof that homeschoolers CAN and DO receive a great education: I am a 19-year-old senior at Liberty University who will be attending law school after graduation in May. In addition to my education by the books, I have also gained life experience education: immersing myself in different cultures by traveling, learning responsibility and occupational conduct from working, and strengthening my work ethic and self-teaching skills by taking control of my school schedule and studies. One should not overlook valuable life skills and lessons that are just as important as memorizing any math formula or set of facts.