I Get It, Being At Home Because Of Coronavirus Does Kind Of Suck, But Let’s Take Advantage Of The Free Time It’s Given Us

Being home may not be ALL that bad.

19

As a college student that had to start doing her classes online because of coronavirus, trust me, I know that it kind of sucks. I'm speaking for a lot of college students when I say that I didn't want to have to return home so early. I had a lot of plans for the remainder of the semester, and unfortunately I'm no longer able to fulfill them. But I also know that a lot of other people have it worse and that by taking myself away from large crowds I am preventing the spread of an illness that could affect others much more than it would affect me.

So, I've chosen to see this unexpected time as a blessing. Sure, it's kind of frustrating. There's no denying that. But now that I don't have to attend work or classes five days a week and I'm unable to visit friends, I have a lot of free time on my hands. I remember just a few weeks ago I was beyond stressed, wishing that I could just have some time to focus on something other than work and school.

I've finally been given that time. I get to see my family much more often now that they're home from work and school, too. I'm able to do my schoolwork and still have time to watch a movie, listen to music, and just enjoy activities that I wouldn't normally allow myself time to do. I've been given the opportunity to learn new things, advance my career goals, and read about topics that I'm not required to read about for class.

So, sure, being home kind of sucks. It's frustrating that a lot of my plans have gotten ruined and I don't get to see my friends at school for longer than I ever anticipated. But there's some good that's come from all of this, too. We've finally been given the chance to slow down and breathe, without fear of what we may be missing by staying home.

It isn't often that we get the blessing of extended free time. So let's embrace it. Let's enjoy the time we have while still recognizing all that we're missing because we have to stay home. And then let's come together after this has all passed with our hearts full of gratitude for the things we had taken for granted weeks before.