Stan Lee Is An Example Of The Infuriating Hypocrisy Of Hollywood Intolerance

This changes everything.

419

With this year's Golden Globes spending more time and energy on topping an increasingly irritated soapbox against sexual assault rather than celebrating talented filmmakers and their movies, it's abundantly clear that a hostile intolerance to injustice is spreading quickly, and while sexual misconduct is a problem undefined by time, the defiant voice demanding justice is very much a product of a modern era obviously done with being silenced. From the depths of intolerance rises a population of people adamant about not just creating a safe work environment, but reaching one step forward in the fight to rid the world of such horrible suffering.

In an article published by The New York Times titled "After Weinstein: 51 Men Accused of Sexual Misconduct and Their Fall From Power," the public outing of Harvey Weinstein began a domino effect in which all 78 cases of sexual misconduct at the time of writing this have been made public. Of those 78 alleged attackers, 27 men have been suspended from their careers with the remaining 51 having faced resignation or termination--sometimes even without a fair investigation.

As a victim of sexual abuse, myself, I understand the ease of succumbing to blind hostility rather than fairly analyzing both sides. Despite Oprah's ridiculous declaration of spreading "your truth" (truth is singular. There is only the truth and your opinion), it can be difficult to suppress emotion in favor of logic. And with our current era's understanding of conflict resolution being "accuse first, investigate later," it isn't a mystery to see why so many public figures were immediately shunned by the public without the damning evidence that would convict much later. It's an angry world out there and many refuse to hear the "truths" of alleged attackers.

But the apparent calm dismissal of recent Stan Lee allegations is threatening the entire mission.

In an exclusive from The Daily Mail, " a string of female nurses" claim that Lee repeatedly groped and harassed them, asking for oral sex in the shower as well as wanting to be "pleasured in the bedroom." Other supposed actions of his range from walking around naked to using explicit sexual language, and while Lee denies these accusations, this situation is much larger than any surface-level understanding. These accusations against this one man have the power to affect the entire integrity of Hollywood intolerance as well as radically shake-up the fight for social justice so many have aligned with.

Make no mistake, I do not pledge blind allegiance to any particular political or societal side nor is this a slam piece against Stan Lee. The following argument is presented with the explicit intention of exposing the problems found within those that do pledge such devout allegiance.

At the core of any conflict lies passion--an unrestrained enthusiasm responsible for driving any opinion (regardless of stability). Somewhere along the line, however, did the standard of healthy debate lower and our inability to responsibly restrain this passion become equally as unimportant. With a typical discussion of anything even remotely opinion-based becoming an increasingly cancerous scream-fest, the last thing anyone would ever associate "controversy" with would be "indifference." Fortunately for Stan Lee, however, its this very indifference that might be his ultimate survival amidst this situation.

With the deafening, dangerous power of journalism nowadays leading the charge on social justice (sometimes even before concrete evidence is discovered), it's a peculiar observation that the aggressive hostility found in other sexual assault cases is not present here. One credible argument against the generally hushed reaction lies in the fact that The Daily Mail is known not to be as much of a reputable news source as something much larger. Throughout the years, The Daily Mail has gained notoriety in the online community for occasionally having slanderous news to uphold a political bias or even sink so low as to treat gossip as legitimate headlines. But despite any sense of foul-play, the seemingly nonexistent coverage of Lee's allegations invites a frustrating line of questioning. If so many before him were immediately thrown into global headlines at even the possibility of assault, how has Stan Lee been able to not just avoid this same outcome, but somehow escape completely unharmed?

Is it because Stan Lee is a beloved figure with his fingerprints on a monumental era-defining pop-culture franchise that is universally loved?

That's what many of the following NSFW "ah, come on! It's Stan Lee!" commenters feel.

While that final tweet is a fine example that not everybody shares the same sentiments, it's an interesting experiment to see just these reactions to Stan Lee's allegations exist compared to that of someone less beloved. While the reaction here has been mainly dismissive or perhaps infused with humor, calling the response to Lee's allegations "underwhelming" compared to the average response of any other possible attacker is one strong understatement.

But that's the problem. In a world ready to have opinions on even the tiniest mistake, this response is the proof that much of this supposed anger comes from a place of convenience. It's so much easier to criticize a less-beloved figure or one incapable of commanding strong media attention than it is to bring down a juggernaut. But this convenience to social justice doesn't just stem from the popularity of a celebrity. The popularity of a movement proves the obvious transparency with the entire Hollywood industry.

With race tensions being exceptionally high two years ago, Hollywood award shows were heavily dependant on a lack of racial diversity in the nominees--an act that was met with a diverse collection of nominees the following year. This year, Hollywood award shows seem to be boarding the current female empowerment train and have been heavily dependant on a lack of gender diversity in the nominees--an act that will probably be met with a diverse collection of nominees next year.

I guess everybody was too busy being angry at a lack of female diversity to realize that the nominees for Best Director at this year's Golden Globes were not just men but all white.

A race issue that was met with seething hatred and a deafening voice years ago has now been completely dismissed because a new issue is the focus, despite the previous issue failing to be solved. Hollywood is now championing for a female nominee despite a lack of female directors deserving of the award this year anyway. Sure, Patty Jenkins deserves to be remembered for her monumental achievement in breaking through the zeitgeist with "Wonder Woman" in demonstrating a woman can handle the same big-budget resources as any man, but her direction isn't deserving of an award much less a nomination. Gretta Gerwig's "Lady Bird" also offers a similar conflict in that her voice shines through in her much deserved Screenplay nomination, but not in her bland, boring directing. Women deserve to have the same opportunities as men but are not entitled to awards simply because of their gender. Black Jordan Peele being snubbed for Best Director was a problem nobody seems to be talking about because "sexism" was far more important than "racism" that night.

To flip-flop issues constantly in response to whatever movement seems to be happening at the time is the problem we have been forced to endure these past few years and it needs to end now.

Watching the world completely unravel over the past few years has been disheartening and taxing on many a mental health. Seeing outrage over the dumbest possible things became increasingly irritating to the point of unbearable anguish. But at least one could cling to the hope that the perpetual outrage came from a place of ethical upstanding and passionate concern. That hope is now being tossed out the window upon realizing what dismissing Stan Lee truly means. Outrage is only spouted out when convenient and money outranks passion 100% of the time.

A celebrity's fandom ultimately chooses whether or not someone is shunned by the public rather than an investigation. Hollywood can scream all it wants to sound moral but is ultimately trying to remain relevant. Everybody loves Marvel so Stan Lee can go out unscathed.

Marvel now leads one of the biggest opportunities Hollywood has ever faced to confirm its true intolerance to this issue. Either speak up on behalf of the brand to show your support for the cause or do nothing to prove money matters more. This is monumental and it is our duty to use our newfound voice it now boasts to use it for change, not convenience. Do not let this issue go quietly and do not be manipulated by a transparent industry to trick you into respecting the non-existent power it claims to have. Change doesn't come from sporadic anger, it comes from passionate people intelligent and humble enough to differentiate right from wrong; ethical and unlawful; honest and corrupt. With a voice finally being listened to, we are one step forward to fighting for the future. It's now or never. Be informed and get passionate. If you are neither of these things, stay out of the conversation until you are.

Do not ruin this.