Holiday Small Talk Is Not That Bad Compared To These Alternatives

Holiday Small Talk With Your Relatives Is Easy Compared To These 5 Situations

The dentist says otherwise.

44
Cooper Watt

Every year around Christmas time my cousins and I would make holiday movies together. In the retrospective documentary we made, I joked that we really made all those movies to avoid the awkward small talk that would happen if we were upstairs. However, the truth is that small talk with your relatives comes from a place of love and is ultimately not that bad. If you are struggling with your Aunt's annoying questions about college this year, think about these much worse small talk situations.

1. Non-friend from high school small talk

Sure, when you come home you are pumped to see your buddies, but there are also those people that you will inevitably run into that you left behind when you jumped into the lake with your cap and gown on. What's that? Only people in Skaneateles jump in the lake for graduation? Oh. Regardless, there's nothing worse than those awkward 2 minutes with people you never thought you would see again or never wanted to.

2. Dentist small talk

I'm sure your Dentist and their assistants are very nice, I know mine is. The thing is, you would think they would have learned by now you can't answer questions with 3 different metal contraptions in your mouth. Add in the fact that you get the most basic questions about school and sports, it's an all-around tedious experience.

3. Friends with your parents small talk

I'm not talking about family friends that you've known your entire life, I'm talking about the people who only know your parents and are now forced to talk with you for 5 minutes. You don't want to be there. They feel obligated to say something. The key is to have a quick joke about your mom or dad prepared, chuckle, and then turn away before they even know what hit them.

4. "I had a class with you" small talk

Cheers to that person you took one class with freshman year who sees you a few years later and wants to chat. Luckily I'm good with faces and usually remember this stuff but this can be an awkward situation. It usually ends after a few awkward questions, a long stare into the distance, and an excuse to go talk with someone else.

5. People from church you don't know small talk

Yes, the Church is a people, not a place, but sometimes talking to the people is plain awk sauce. It's pleasant enough compared to other situations but is often forced and weird. Weather. College. Seeing them next Sunday. It's the usual small talk attack. If you give them a little "peace be with you "handshake at the end, and they will smile and be on their way.