holiday movies

You're Not Doing The Holidays Right If You Don't Watch These 10 Movies

'Tis the season to be a couch potato.

56
Victoria Alvarez

The month of December is for watching holiday movies while stuffing your face with your loved ones. Here are 10 prime movie choices—to be honest, if you don't watch at least one of these before the 25th, I'm judging you. And so is Santa.

1. "A Christmas Story."

media.giphy.com

Okay, duh, this made it to the list because this one is a classic. I mean, if you don't watch a little blond boy get low-key traumatized over having a Beebee gun, was it really Christmas?

2. "Elf."

media.giphy.com

After Buddy "passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly-twirly gum drops, and then walked through the Lincoln Tunnel," he meets his estranged human father, and the rest is history. I quote this movie all year round and aspire to be Buddy the Elf. This movie is a must. Even when it's not December.

3. "Home Alone."

media.giphy.com

"Home Alone" is so iconic and necessary for a holiday marathon. Watch as another little blond boy gets not only traumatized but also neglected by his entire family during the most wonderful time of the year.

4. "The Holiday."

media.giphy.com

Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, Kate Winslet and. Jude. Freaking. Law—I can watch this lovable rom-com all year round. It has accents, cute old people, holiday fun, and did I mention Jude Law?

5. "The Ref."

media.giphy.com

Okay so "The Ref" is a bit more obscure. It's rated R due to its vulgarity, but it is downright hilarious. It's not your conventional holiday movie in the slightest, so if you're trying to mix it up, check it out. It does have Kevin Spacey though, excuse his presence.

6. "Eight Crazy Nights."

media.giphy.com

Shoutout to all my Jewish friends because "Eight Crazy Nights" with animated Adam Sandler is freaking hilarious. If you're tired of watching everyone unrealistically celebrating Christmas (let's be honest there needs to be more representation of the multiple holidays), then switch it up with this Hanukkah comedy.

7. "Frosty the Snowman."

media.giphy.com

I felt like this list would not be completed if I didn't have just one, really old, animated Christmas classic. It brings a sense of nostalgia and happiness to the holiday marathon, don't you think?

8. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

media.giphy.com

I asked my friends what they think I should put on this list and they all said "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation." This movie came out years before me and my friends were even born and it still remains a beloved classic—so if you haven't seen it, you really need to.

9. "Four Christmases."

media.giphy.com

I love love love this movie and it's not just because it has an amazing cast (even though that does help). It's because it has a modern twist to the comedic "Christmas with the family" trope. It's different, it's hilarious and so dysfunctional.

10. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

media.giphy.com

There's not really much to say about this CLASSIC, besides the fact that if you rewatch it as an adult, it's actually funnier. Break out the spiked eggnog my freshly 21-year-olds and laugh too hard at all the jokes you didn't understand when you were six.

Between the gingerbread house making, the lights and crafting, good laughs and holiday cheer, sit your booty on the couch and laugh at some classics. After the finals, you deserve it.