8 Jolly Video Game Tunes To Get You In The Holiday Spirit

Jingle bells can make anything into a holiday song, right?

27
Video Game

Like it or not, it's the holiday season. As soon as Halloween ends, Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever seasonal holiday you celebrate beings, according to marketers. There is no point in fighting it anymore, so why not embrace it with some jolly video games?

1. Animal Crossing - Christmas Eve

Animal Crossing is the coziest game series ever created. It's a game in which you play as your own character who has moved to a town inhabited entirely by friendly animals, and you just live life how you see fit. You can interact with your neighbors, go shopping, write letters, collect fish/bugs, and pay off your mortgage.

But one of the best parts of the game is the holiday events. Christmas is aptly named "Toy Day" in the game, where a reindeer visits every villager and gives them a gift! Nothing happier than that, right?

2. Mario Party 3 - Chilly Waters

If you have read my previous article on Mario Party, you would know that my thoughts on the game are rather mixed. I love it, yet I hate it. However, it's hard to deny that the music in the games tends to be decent. Chilly Water from Mario Party 3 is no exception.

This song is very uplifting and happy sounding, despite being from one of the most aggravating games available. Maybe sitting down with some hot chocolate while playing this game wouldn't be a bad idea.

No, scratch that. It's a terrible idea. Just listen to the music instead.

3. RuneScape - Scape Santa

I asked my friend Boone for a suggestion for this list, and he said RuneScape. Here's what he had to say.

"Whenever I think about jolly holiday music, my mind immediately goes to this song. RuneScape was one of my favorite games growing up, especially during the holiday season. For the month of December, the land of RuneScape would transform into a magical Christmas wonderland, full of dancing snowmen, dastardly snow imps, and players using candy canes as weapons. Each year featured its own unique Christmas event with special holiday-themed quests such as rescuing Santa from Ebenezer Scourge, chasing after Jack Frost, and wrangling those pesky reindeer."

Sounds cheerful, huh?

4. Final Fantasy VII - Buried in the Snow

What I really want for Christmas is for Square-Enix to give us an update on what the hell is happening with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Seriously. It's been about three and a half years since the initial announcement, and we've gotten next to nothing newsworthy since.

But hey, if you haven't ever played FFVII, maybe you should check it out. Maybe this song will convince you to ask a loved one to buy a copy (if they can find one). Who knows.

5. Mario Kart 8 - Sherbet Land

This track hits home for me. I was around the age of seven or eight when I opened up my Nintendo GameCube Christmas morning. I got a couple of games, but the one I remember falling in love from the moment I put the disc in the slot was Mario Kart: Double Dash!!.

The course the track is from was recently remade in the newest entry, Mario Kart 8, and with that comes a remixed song. And you know what? I actually prefer the new version. They got rid of the weird MIDI sounding quality of the original, instead opting for a more realistic version. And hey! Since they slapped jingle bells on it, I can consider this a holiday song! It's a win-win for everyone.

6. Persona 4 - Snowflakes

Persona 4 might be my favorite JRPG I have ever played, so I will make an excuse to talk about this game whenever I can. It is such a well-written and executed game that I think anyone who has the means to play it should do. Seriously. Persona 4. Life changing.

Anyway, the soundtrack is one of the biggest highlights to me! And the track 'Snowflakes' is of no exception. While not really being in a holiday-esque song, it has that cold and cozy vibe to it. But yeah, you should really just check out the game. Way too good.

7. Super Mario 3D World - Snowball Park

Super Mario 3D World is, in my opinion, one of the best Mario game made to date. The four-player co-op and unique level design really made this one stand out from the traditional 3D Mario formula. It's just a shame that nobody played it since Nintendo made it for their least popular console yet, the Wii U.

I adore winter themed levels in video games, so when I came across Snowball Park on my first play-through, I was very excited. Admittedly, the level itself wasn't that fun or long, but at least we got this jolly track out of it.

8. Diddy Kong Racing - Walrus Cave

Man, there sure have been a lot of Nintendo games on this list. I guess that just means they create more jolly games than other companies.

Anyways, there is something about the Nintendo 64 style of music that always takes me back. I grew up playing mostly on the GameCube, but there is something about this music that makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I have admittedly played very little of Diddy Kong Racing, but I am eager to get my hands on it after listening to this song.

There you have it, some cozy video game music to soothe the soul and get you prepared for the upcoming holidays! I write way too many articles about video games though, so I'm thinking about branching out and getting weird with my upcoming articles.

Eggnog, anyone?