Hogwarts Houses Are So Much More Than Just Personality Sorters

What does your house mean to you?

169
Google Images

Okay Harry Potter fans, let's all admit it. We all have a bit of house pride for whatever house you are in, whether it be Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin. And to many die hard fans out there, (myself included) you take your house as part of your identity and who you are.

Now, what does this mean exactly? Well, first it means many different things to many different people, and everyone has their own perspective on each house, but we will start with Slytherin. Now most folks in the Potter fandom understand that just because someone is a proud Slytherin, it doesn't mean they are evil, but rather that they just value being a strong leader and having ambition to get to their end goal, what ever that may be. It means they value being more honored in life than in death, and are always looking for a way to achieve something. To people who take pride in this, they know they will go far in life, and believe in themselves ultimately more than anything.

Next we have Hufflepuff, the typically most underrated house, but the most needed. Hufflepuffs are essentially bread and butter of the wizarding world and of friends. Instead of valuing an indivudal trait, they honor comfort, kindness, and honesty, They care deeply for others and through hard work happiness can be achieved. They are not risk takers, and are typically cautious with their decisions. However, Hufflepuffs are extremely loyal, and can make the sweetest of friends.

Next is Ravenclaw, the house of the wise and intelligent. Everyone knows that Ravenclaws are typically the know-it-alls in any group, but what do Ravenclaws truly value? Most seek knowledge and have a strong curious nature, making them inquisitive and bound to discovery. They are drawn to possibilities and love knowing there is more to discover out there than just what they know. They also value individuality and creativity, and always see unique as quite a compliment to be held.

Last but not least, we have Gryffindor, the most well known house. While it is easy to find Gryffindor merchandise anywhere, what does a Gryffindor value? Well, Gryffindors love taking risks, and are often known for taking on challenging things and ideas. While Gryffindors are loyal, they are more protective over their friends and more confrontational than sweet Hufflepuffs. They value looking out for the underdog, and always fighting for a cause. Many leap before they look, especially if it is over a passion they have, causing many mistakes but many accomplishments as well.

So what house do you belong to? There is no wrong answer here. But take value in who you are, fellow Hogwarts students, and take pride in what you value, as these traits are part of what make you who you are.