Why You Should Appreciate Your Quarantine Hobbies

Quarantine Reminded Me Of Old Hobbies, And It Made Me Appreciate Them Even More

It's good for you to have hobbies — apparently we need quarantine to tell us that.

426

The year 2020 has not been an easy one, and we're only in May. It seems as though a catastrophe swiftly comes in just as the old one leaves. Now as the whole world is challenged by coronavirus (COVID-19), we are asked to stay at home for who knows how long. With more time on our hands, everyone seems to either return to old hobbies or discover new ones.

Before my school decided to switch to online for the rest of the semester, I was on the go 24/7. If I was not in a lecture, I was getting help from my professors or IAs. If I was not getting help, then I was probably isolating myself in a study room. If I was not studying, I was probably completing a task for my leadership position. You might be reading this thinking, "Wow, this girl is a workaholic." The truth is, you're right.

It's rare for me to have free time, and it's sad that I have to admit that. While I know that I need to take a breather, it's hard to when you're faced with a myriad of assignments and goals. This quickly changed though when I was asked to pack my things and finish the rest of the semester at home.

Now, what was I supposed to do at home? I know, school was still happening but I had a lot more free time. I probably gained a couple of hours back since I didn't have to wait at a Chick-fil-A line, walk from class to class, attend meetings, and perform my leadership duties. So, why not use this time to take out my paintbrushes and start painting?

After months of always on the go, I finally gave myself a break. Painting made me feel as if time slowed down and noises from the outside world quieted down. It felt peaceful, almost as if there's no wrong happening in the world.

This might come off as dramatic, and maybe it is, but being in quarantine made me think of a couple of things. First, why do I feel like I always have to be on the go, and second, why did I stop doing what I love to do?

And there are some obvious answers to these questions, one being that I have obligations to my schoolwork and other duties. The other is because of the feeling that I have to do several things to feel accomplished. And maybe you also feel this way – but you shouldn't.

I know there is a thing called reality, but I hope you don't become too entangled in its web to the point that you miss out on life's pleasures. With this in mind, I hope you pick up that book you started a year ago or work on that unfinished painting. Maybe go for a hike (Please know the rules about quarantining and social distancing in your state first) with a friend. Whatever hobby you may have forgotten about, I hope you find it again.

Finally, I hope you give yourself a break occasionally doing what you love the most, with or without quarantine.